You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app keeps opening on MacBook

I've plugged my phone into my MacBook Air to charge it, but the Photos app keeps automatically opening when it's connected. Every time I try to quit it, it keeps reopening on its own and the computer automatically brings me to the window the desktop is in or brings the app to the top of all app windows, so I can't get any work done with the phone plugged in.

On the Photos app on Mac, the screen keeps switching between "Preparing to import from iPhone" and "Unlock iPhone" and the regular library of photos, even if my iPhone is unlocked and on its Photos app, and it's this constant switching that makes the computer keep panning over to the window.

I'm not sure what to do. I've restarted both my computer and phone, so I wondered if the problem came from my updating to Catalina 10.15.7, but in the days between the update and this instance, nothing like this happened when I plugged the phone in.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 10:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 12:12 AM

Open photos while the phone is connected, click on your phone under devices in the LH sidebar. At the top of the screen, uncheck "open photos for this device" at the top of the screen.

3 replies

Photos app keeps opening on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.