You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable auto-switching desktops?

When I have two browser windows open, one of them swishes off screen when the other is on. I'd like to have both of them open on my desktop.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 7:27 AM

SFRobbie wrote:

Right, same here: I use Safari and Chrome — Chrome is my working browser.
My issue is that one of them disappears off screen when I select the other. I must have unintentionally hit a key to make that happen.
My question is how to *undo* that action, so I can have both browser windows open at the same time on my desktop.

I am sure you have read through the references for clarity...

how about:

If you do not see this as an option, create a new empty Desktop from Mission Control and from the right hand side " + "

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2021 7:27 AM in response to SFRobbie

SFRobbie wrote:

Right, same here: I use Safari and Chrome — Chrome is my working browser.
My issue is that one of them disappears off screen when I select the other. I must have unintentionally hit a key to make that happen.
My question is how to *undo* that action, so I can have both browser windows open at the same time on my desktop.

I am sure you have read through the references for clarity...

how about:

If you do not see this as an option, create a new empty Desktop from Mission Control and from the right hand side " + "

Jan 22, 2021 7:08 AM in response to SFRobbie

SFRobbie wrote:

When I have two browser windows open, one of them swishes off screen when the other is on. I'd like to have both of them open on my desktop.

Full screen?

Or fully expanded to take up the Desktop?

Split Screen ?

You may gain a better undersatnding of your possibilities reading through all these references:

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support

See open windows and spaces in Mission Control on Mac ...

Change Tabs preferences in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Use two Mac apps/windows side by side in Split View - Apple Support

Without knowing your exact work flow here, you can experiment to see what is most efficient for you, there are many ways.

You can always have more than one browser on your Mac— this may be of benefit, as well as Tabs, Full Scrren, multiple Desktops, pinning apps to specific Desktops, and/or Split View.

For example— I use Firefox as my main working browser, leaving my Safari browser as the default, one in full screen and the other on the main Desktop shared with other open apps at all times.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.