You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup on several occasions

I'm running Big Sur on a 2015 iMac retina. I have two external hard drives because eventually one will not backup anymore. Each time it fails to backup I need to erase it and start over, which takes several hours for the first backup. Eventually the other one will fail as well which then requires starting over. Sometimes they both fail at the same time which leaves me in a bind. These failures are unpredictable and sometime happens within a month of initial backup. How can I fix this?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 25, 2021 8:18 AM in response to MH711

Hi MH711,

We understand that you're experiencing some issues backing up your iMac with Time Machine, and we'd like to help any way we can.

You mentioned that the backup fails; when this happens, do you receive a specific error message? If so, what does the error message say?

What type of disks are you using with Time Machine? This page has some great information about the types of disks you can use with Time Machine: Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac

This page also has some great information on how to troubleshoot issues with Time Machine: Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2021 4:53 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for the reply. The drives are Western Digital external drives, APFS formatted, 2TB each. I noticed last time they both failed was after I restarted my computer. I've tried unmounting and remounting the drives but backup still fails and I get these messages. Only way to to get it working again is to reformat the drives and start backups from scratch.

From the Time Machine settings there was an error message that said "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to <drive_name>. An error occurred while preparing the backup."

Jan 26, 2021 5:32 PM in response to MH711

MH711 wrote:

I'm running Big Sur on a 2015 iMac retina. I have two external hard drives because eventually one will not backup anymore. Each time it fails to backup I need to erase it and start over, which takes several hours for the first backup. Eventually the other one will fail as well which then requires starting over. Sometimes they both fail at the same time which leaves me in a bind. These failures are unpredictable and sometime happens within a month of initial backup. How can I fix this?

Typically this is an indication the drive is working in a state of failure. Replace it.

Jan 26, 2021 6:44 PM in response to leroydouglas

This is what I thought when the original drive started failing. I replaced it with a new drive a couple months ago and it failed as well. I'm running two in case one fails but it seems like both fail together after restarting my computer. Just want to make sure getting a new drive will fix this issue so that I don't waste too much money buying drives.

Jan 26, 2021 7:24 PM in response to MH711

MH711 wrote:

This is what I thought when the original drive started failing. I replaced it with a new drive a couple months ago and it failed as well. I'm running two in case one fails but it seems like both fail together after restarting my computer. Just want to make sure getting a new drive will fix this issue so that I don't waste too much money buying drives.

Maybe avoid Western Digital.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup on several occasions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.