You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to erase everything on my MacBook Air. Do I click on Macintosh HD or OS X base system?

I am trying to erase everything on my MacBook Air. I now have the screen to click on Macintosh HD or OS X base system. Which do I click on?

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 4:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 9:30 PM

Hi DTH1956,

I see your issue above.

You will select the Macintosh HD, and make sure this information matches:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: OS X Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

However, please be aware that when you do this, all your data will be erased! This action cannot be undone! Make sure your are comfortable with where your data is stored besides the Mac. You can use Time Machine, iCloud, or an external hard drive. See this article How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

After you erase, let's reinstall macOS.

1. Quit Disk Utility.
  2. Open the macOS / OS X Installer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and select Macintosh HD as your disk to install to.
  4. Let the process finish, don’t restart, sleep, or shut down your Mac. Also don’t disconnect from WiFi.
  5. Let the process finish; then setup your Mac, and restore your data. For iCloud data, sign into your Apple ID and download data from iCloud. For Time Machine backup and restoring, see this guide: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981. If you copy and pasted your data to an external hard drive, copy and paste the data back. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2021 9:30 PM in response to DTH1956

Hi DTH1956,

I see your issue above.

You will select the Macintosh HD, and make sure this information matches:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: OS X Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

However, please be aware that when you do this, all your data will be erased! This action cannot be undone! Make sure your are comfortable with where your data is stored besides the Mac. You can use Time Machine, iCloud, or an external hard drive. See this article How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

After you erase, let's reinstall macOS.

1. Quit Disk Utility.
  2. Open the macOS / OS X Installer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and select Macintosh HD as your disk to install to.
  4. Let the process finish, don’t restart, sleep, or shut down your Mac. Also don’t disconnect from WiFi.
  5. Let the process finish; then setup your Mac, and restore your data. For iCloud data, sign into your Apple ID and download data from iCloud. For Time Machine backup and restoring, see this guide: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981. If you copy and pasted your data to an external hard drive, copy and paste the data back. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jack

I am trying to erase everything on my MacBook Air. Do I click on Macintosh HD or OS X base system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.