You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sshd exits after inactivity

I turned on Remote Login to access my M1 Mac mini via SSH. This works as expected but after 2-12 hours of inactivity sshd exits and I'm no longer able to login.

This has been happening every night, without fail, since I setup my Mac about two weeks ago.

In an effort to debug the problem I wrote a small web service that allows me to reboot the Mac and dump the output of `ps ax`, which temporarily allows me to login and is how I know that sshd is not running after some inactivity.

Anyone have ideas about what I could try to get Remote Login stable?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 8:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 9:01 AM

Turn out the issue here was Little Snitch, uninstalling it fixed the sshd shutdowns I was seeing.

Still feels like the server should automatically restart if it crashes, but it probably makes sense to make the server relatively easy to shutdown temporarily.

Similar questions

1 reply

sshd exits after inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.