You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why aren't my videos saving as .MP4 files?

I recently found out you could make the iPhone save videos in .MP4 instead of .MOV, an amazing revelation! I went into my settings, into camera, into Formats, and changed my setting to "Most Compatible". As I'm writing this I went back and re-checked, "Most Compatible" was, and still is, the setting that is chosen. However, when I recorded a video and went through the obnoxious process of learning how to find and transfer the videos (the Apple article related to the subject (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302) cites a Microsoft link as the answer (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/import-photos-and-videos-from-phone-to-pc-198f2301-e9a7-c734-5f39-a8946a5ebc99), which in turn cites the same Apple link as place to find the answer, causing a never-ending cycle that never supplies an answer) I noticed the video was a .MOV file, not an .MP4 file. My question is this; why didn't the video I recorded save as an .MP4, and how can I fix that issue?

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 12:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 12:42 AM

Video Format supported are

Video formats

• Animated GIFs
  • Apple Animation codec
  • Apple Intermediate codec
  • Apple ProRes (all versions)
  • Apple ProRes RAW and Apple ProRes RAW HQ
  • AVCHD (including AVCCAM, AVCHD Lite, and NXCAM)
  • AVC-ULTRA (including AVC-LongG, AVC-Intra Class 50/100/200/4:4:4, and AVC-Intra LT)
  • Dolby Vision Profile 8.4 (interpreted using static HLG tone mapping)
  • DV (including DVCAM, DVCPRO, and DVCPRO50)
  • DVCPRO HD
  • H.264 (AVC)
  • H.265 (HEVC)
  • HDV
  • iFrame
  • Motion JPEG
  • MPEG IMX (30 Mbps, 40 Mbps, 50 Mbps)
  • QuickTime formats (in macOS Catalina, Motion does not support 32-bit-only QuickTime formats) 
  • Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit 4:2:2
  • XDCAM HD/EX/HD422
  • XF-AVC
  • XF-HEVC

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2021 12:42 AM in response to McNarsty

Video Format supported are

Video formats

• Animated GIFs
  • Apple Animation codec
  • Apple Intermediate codec
  • Apple ProRes (all versions)
  • Apple ProRes RAW and Apple ProRes RAW HQ
  • AVCHD (including AVCCAM, AVCHD Lite, and NXCAM)
  • AVC-ULTRA (including AVC-LongG, AVC-Intra Class 50/100/200/4:4:4, and AVC-Intra LT)
  • Dolby Vision Profile 8.4 (interpreted using static HLG tone mapping)
  • DV (including DVCAM, DVCPRO, and DVCPRO50)
  • DVCPRO HD
  • H.264 (AVC)
  • H.265 (HEVC)
  • HDV
  • iFrame
  • Motion JPEG
  • MPEG IMX (30 Mbps, 40 Mbps, 50 Mbps)
  • QuickTime formats (in macOS Catalina, Motion does not support 32-bit-only QuickTime formats) 
  • Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit 4:2:2
  • XDCAM HD/EX/HD422
  • XF-AVC
  • XF-HEVC

Why aren't my videos saving as .MP4 files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.