You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

print error unregistered offending command xshow in big sur

Hi all, have a brand new Macbook Pro M1. Printing a PDF file from Preview prints two out of 6 pages when it should be printing all 6, and mixed over the second page is the text "ERROR: unregistered OFFENDING COMMAND: xhow". If I print the same exact file from my High Sierra mac using Preview, all 6 pages print with no problem.

Printer is an HP Color LaserJet CP2020DN. I installed the latest HP drivers 5.1 from Apple. The system log in Console on the Big Sur machine doesn't indicate any problems.

Googling the issue brings a few various results but nothing specific besides 'update the drivers' which are up to date, the HP drivers from Apple were updated in December '20. https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Any help appreciated. I realize it's an older printer, but it is listed as supported and works fine otherwise.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 12:09 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 2, 2021 6:48 PM in response to Derek Cunningham1

Hi Derek,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are unable to print your full document using your MacBook Pro due to this error message.

We found the following HP document that might help get to the bottom of this error message - Troubleshooting PostScript Errors. Next, check to see if there are any other drivers or software that may be needed for your printer and macOS from Official HP Drivers and Software Download.

If not, we recommend reaching out to HP directly for further assistance - HP Printer Support.

Take care.

Feb 19, 2021 7:59 AM in response to cp from OH

Hi cp, thanks for the reply. HP suggests installing the latest drivers available from Apple, which we have done. HP doesn't offer a driver for this printer. Apple's HP drivers mentioned above are installed.

This is a major issue, unfortunately it may force us into tossing out a perfectly good printer for which we just replaced all of it's toner, an investment worth the equivalent of a new printer. (toner cartridges last us a few years in this printer, fabulous efficiency and print quality)

It's disappointing to say the least.

If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them. This seems to be a fairly common issue.

Thanks again

Feb 19, 2021 9:21 AM in response to benwiggy

Thanks for the reply. The OS is up to date. It's not for every PDF or every document. Some PDFs work fine and some don't work at all, some print partially with errors on the page. Same with images, some print, some print partially, some won't print at all. Sometimes it errors partway through a Word doc... but some of them print fine. It's very inconsistent. If I send whatever it is to an older mac I can print it fine. (all my other macs are High Sierra)

Is there some way to roll back to an older PS version or something like that? (is that even a thing?)

Feb 19, 2021 9:34 AM in response to Derek Cunningham1

PostScript hasn't been updated this century. It's a problem with the way the PS is being generated: something's just not making sense. The trick is how to avoid that error being generated.

First thing, as always, is to test the problem in a brand new user account, to rule in or out the cause at a user or system level.

Next, try "adding a Printer" (more correctly, creating a new print queue for your existing printer), and setting the PPD to "Generic PostScript". This will actually bypass the HP drivers altogether, so you won't get any printer-specific options, but you should still print.

HP's drivers do have a bit of binary code, and it may be that on an M1, it can't be emulated (as a plug-in of an ARM process).

print error unregistered offending command xshow in big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.