You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Query: Seamless integration & Extended screen

Hi, if I use the same Apple ID on a 2017 MacBook Air and a 2020 iMac, would I be able to seamlessly switch between the 2 devices? As such,

1) If I have a few tabs open on Safari in my Macbook, would I be able to see the same tabs on my iMac, if I turn it on?

2) If I have a few applications like MS PowerPoint, MS Excel etc. open on my MacBook (and saved in a folder on my desktop) , would I be able to see the same documents on my iMac, if I turn it on?

3) Do I need to enable some settings to achieve the above?

Also, is it possible to use iMac as an extended screen, with my MacBook Air as the primary device? What settings do I need to do to achieve this?

Please let me know. Your reply would greatly facilitate my iMac purchase decision.

Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 4:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:59 AM

Did you verify that "Safari" is checked in iCloud on the MacBook Air? I don't think the iOS version miss-match with Big Sur is an issue as the technology wasn't introduced with ios 13 or Big Sur.

Paul

7 replies

Jan 31, 2021 5:31 PM in response to Zhubham

Zhubham, the short any sort of.

You can't extend your screen natively anymore "Target Display Mode" is not supported anymore. There are 3rd Party apps that will allow you to extend your screen to either your 2020 iMac or your MacBook Air. I use Duet Display. There is also LunaDisplay.

1. Handoff is what you are referring to for Safari Tabs. It doesn't actually mimic each Safari, Yes it is a setting you can turn on. I use it with my iphone and ipad. When I go to add another tab on my iphone you I can see the tabs open on my ipad and choose from one of those. I have the setting turned off on my mac. So not exactly the way you described but similar function. To turn it on go to system preferences and iCloud and enable Safari.
  2. Yes, you can do this as well. This is also in iCloud. Go to icloud drive item and click on "Options..." button and enable "Desktop and Documents folders" option. This will copy your desktop and documents folders to iCloud.

If you have more questions let me know.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Jan 31, 2021 6:36 PM in response to Zhubham

Both DuetDisplay and LunaDisplay are not available on the Mac App Store. I've linked to their respective website.

The image below is from my iPhone. to get to the list of open tabs, I press on the icon on the bottom right of the screen in Safari. So on your phone, I would assume you will see something similar with your MacBook Air's name above the list. For the iCloud Drive options. Go to your system preferences. click on the Apple ID icon to bring up a screen where you can turn on/off items that use iCloud. The first item I have is iCloud drive. That is where I was referring. Let me know if this helps.

Jan 31, 2021 6:13 PM in response to Paul Conaway

Hi Paul, Thanks for your quick feedback.

I am unable to find 'Duet Display' and 'Luna Display' on my Macbook App store. Could you advise how to fix this issue? (P.S. I do see 'Duet Display' on my iPhone App store though.)

I already have Safari enabled both on my iPhone and Macbook Air, but there is no sync between the Safari tabs, even if I open a new one on either of the device. Do I need to do something else as well?

Finally, could you advise how do I see the "Options.." button on the iCloud drive item? Right clicking on a file or a folder is not giving me anything similar.

Kindly let me know.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2021 10:29 AM in response to Paul Conaway

Hi Paul, Thanks again. Duet Display would solve my extended screen query. Thanks much for recommending it.

I however do not see my MacBook Air's name above the list of open tabs on my iPhone's Safari. Would you suggest me trying anything differently? (Note my Macbook is on macOS Big Sur, Version 11.0.1. My iPhone is on iOS 13.6)

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Query: Seamless integration & Extended screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.