You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a bootable drive on PowerMac G4?

I have reformatted a hard drive three times, but each time I do this I still can't install MacOS X on it.

Do I need to swap the drives from where they are connected internally?

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 2:57 PM

An external FireWire enclosure with 'oxford-type chipset' would allow a Clone

to be used as startup volume. That's a different hardware path to restore from.

Useful tools, those 'boot capable' clones; also better backups in addition to T.M.

Two versions of clone utilities, either of these can still have older version online.

SuperDuper seemed to work across most/vintage Mac. I've older CCC Bombich.

Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5) + Snow Leopard (10.6) ['SuperDuper' users can Download v2.7.1.]

[Download CCC 3.4.7 old 'CCC Bombich' for use on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5).]

However FireWire enabled small enclosures are hard to come by. OWC has desktop 3.5-in

versions; these use SATA HDDs. OWC has enclosures (maybe one/two?) that FireWire boot.

🌞🌿⛵️🌤🎣🏕⛄️🍀🌻🌎📫

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2021 2:57 PM in response to random47

An external FireWire enclosure with 'oxford-type chipset' would allow a Clone

to be used as startup volume. That's a different hardware path to restore from.

Useful tools, those 'boot capable' clones; also better backups in addition to T.M.

Two versions of clone utilities, either of these can still have older version online.

SuperDuper seemed to work across most/vintage Mac. I've older CCC Bombich.

Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5) + Snow Leopard (10.6) ['SuperDuper' users can Download v2.7.1.]

[Download CCC 3.4.7 old 'CCC Bombich' for use on Tiger (10.4) and Leopard (10.5).]

However FireWire enabled small enclosures are hard to come by. OWC has desktop 3.5-in

versions; these use SATA HDDs. OWC has enclosures (maybe one/two?) that FireWire boot.

🌞🌿⛵️🌤🎣🏕⛄️🍀🌻🌎📫

Feb 6, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

My older 'archive versions' of both these still work; and newer downloads from CCC 3.4.7

can be used without buying a license. I've got that downloaded in my G4 2005 Mac mini

in Leopard 10.5.8. [And my Tiger (iBook 12-in G4 2005 1.33) with both SuperDuper/CCC, I

away last year to friends near Seward AK; a complete kit with original software & boxes.]

Both vintage Clone utilities 'older versions' download and run on a trial basis, no charge.

At least that's how they work in my Leopard version G4. (I've also intel-version Leopard

in early MacBook1.1, that has no problem w/ launching the 10.5 version, once installed.)

I will re-check the SuperDuper version (downloaded anew, from site). Both these vintage

are old versions of respective CCC/SD for Tiger/Leopard. ~ Can't test whether Tiger in CCC

online is non-PPC version; but doubt it would be anything but PPC G3/G4. ~ But could be.

Carbon Copy Cloner download opens on Desktop in PPC G4 Mac Mini (last model 1.5GHz)

with Leopard 10.5.8, and can be moved to the Hard Drive. ~ Info is available without fully

installing to HDD. The 'read-me' says most things I recollect, from years ago. It's newer than

one I have installed; but I also have clones on FireWire bootable HDDs for my old PPC G4s.

No warnings or appearance of non-starter w/ CCC. I suspect SuperDuper to also just work.

These had historically ran older versions with unpaid license; w/ unlimited trial. I'd make

extra copy before running the first time, if you consider a download archive worth having.

Recent 'vintage download' Download CCC 3.4.7 no evidence of needing payment to work.

My Mac mini G4 w/ 10.5.8 is on a nearby second worktable. Was more trouble looking into

saved software, to compare versions; since I have the compressed originals on drives, too.

No doubts about what those contain, given their source is known.

Good luck & happy computing!

🌞🌿⛵️🌤🎣🤖🏕🐝⛄️🌻

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.