You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail or Gmail requires password to access Gmail.

Since updating to Sierra, my Apple Mail has not been able to log in to Gmail. At first, Mail asked for my Gmail password on every startup but, now it doesn't ask for the password and I can't find any place in Apple Mail or Internet Accounts to enter the password, I deleted the accounts and keychain stuff and everything was OK for a couple of days and now I am back to entering the password. I cannot upgrade above Sierra because the wonderful old iMac 2011 is at its limit supposedly.

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:32 AM

1st-PrintPro Said:

A. "Apple Mail or Gmail requires password to access Gmail. Since updating to Sierra, my Apple Mail has not been able to log in to Gmail.[...]"

New App Password:

Try creating a new App Password. Your App Password may need to resync - something typical after update installations. You would log in using that password, rather than your Gmail password.

Go Here: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

and...

B. "[...]I cannot upgrade above Sierra because the wonderful old iMac 2011 is at its limit supposedly."

High Sierra: The highest you you go is High Sierra. Go Here: macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications - Apple Support. Are you having issues upgrading?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2021 9:32 AM in response to 1st-PrintPro

1st-PrintPro Said:

A. "Apple Mail or Gmail requires password to access Gmail. Since updating to Sierra, my Apple Mail has not been able to log in to Gmail.[...]"

New App Password:

Try creating a new App Password. Your App Password may need to resync - something typical after update installations. You would log in using that password, rather than your Gmail password.

Go Here: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

and...

B. "[...]I cannot upgrade above Sierra because the wonderful old iMac 2011 is at its limit supposedly."

High Sierra: The highest you you go is High Sierra. Go Here: macOS High Sierra - Technical Specifications - Apple Support. Are you having issues upgrading?

Apple Mail or Gmail requires password to access Gmail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.