You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 wifi connect issues (possible device interference issues)

Today I received my mini m1, after the initial startup, wifi can be successfully connect to my 5GHZ network with full signal strength, however, it take mini forever to check new update and Safari cannot load pages (it keep trying without give me any error or tells me disconnect from network).

The troubleshoot process that I use is, first, unplug any extern device, only HDMI and power cord of course, then reboot, usually reboot would solved the problem, and it did, only for very short period of time, after system start to download new update, suddenly it stopped and then Safari cannot load any pages again.

Mac mini location: Placed on my wooden table horizontally, 3-5m away from router.

Wifi status: iPhone, iPad and other devices that connect to 5GHZ network are working normally.

External devices:

ASUS ROG PG348Q connect to m1 using Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI from apple.com

Bose Audio System connect to m1 using normal USB 2.0

All other devices around mini: All been turned off when wifi issues occurred.

Detailed issues description:

Mac mini m1 can connect to 5GHZ network but refuse or cannot receive any data, system shows the Wifi connection is ok, but Safari or other application cannot receive or send any data over Wifi network. Reboot or switch to 2.4GHZ network will solved the issues. (Reboot only working for very short period of time.)

If anyone could give me suggestion, for example, is it because of the HDMI cable? If so what should I do, switching to what type of HDMI or thunderbolt cable would prevent such issues? Or is there something wrong with my new Mac mini m1?

I would appreciate your help and patience in advanced.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 11:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 12:05 PM

You've done most of what is suggested at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Next I would try a different HDMI cable and then > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

Then if those don't help, it's time to contact Apple Support at > https://support.apple.com/contact

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 17, 2021 1:15 PM in response to McHenryZ

Your router is obsolete, officially EOL (end of life). More importantly, it doesn’t support 802.11ac Wi-Fi which has been standard on routers for at least 5 years. The problem isn’t HDMI but your router. Even if you use for 2.4 GHz, I would replace it ASAP because it’s a security hazard. Good luck.

Edit: Looks like it does support Wi-Fi AC, but I would still replace it.

Feb 18, 2021 8:06 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I switched my HDMI cable from Belkin to BestBuy Insignia, and so far so good, ZERO down time so far since last night. And I move the mini to another location on table far away from other devices, ups and cables. Only cables connected to mini will be binding together using cable tie instead of binding all together with other tables like before.

And I brought a mini stand from Amazon so I can put the mini vertically as your mentioned to increase its wifi performance. I'm so glad its not a hardware issues.

For anyone else who has similar issues, followed den.thed and hcsitas advices, make sure it's not a hardware issue and the router has been properly setup.

Because how mini been designed, wifi and bluetooth are really closed to HDMI and USB3.0 ports as den.thed mentioned, cable switch only work if there is no hardware issues. If your mini CAN connect and stay connect to 5GHZ network, but no internet or cannot send or receive data (webpage loading stuck or took forever, video streaming keep reloading or stuck), or suddenly disconnect from network but still connect to the wifi and other devices connected to the same network is working fine, and switch to 2.4GHZ works fine or switch to 2.4GHZ and switch back to 5GHZ will keep your network connect for a moment, then probably there is something interfere with mini wifi performance. Please disconnect everything from mini except power cord and HDMI, and if problem persists, switch to different HDMI cable to see if wifi is working normally.

Like hcsitas mentioned, sometime, old routers will have poor performance especially those are already end-of-life. Networking and Wifi technology will keeping updating constantly. And for most of time, new standard like 802.11 n, ac or ax will have downward compatibility so if your old device only support up to n, then it can still using router that comes with ax, however, if you have newer device that support ac or even ax, but the router only support n or b, the performance will be impact and sometime will causing unexpected behaviour like mine did.

Feb 18, 2021 8:12 AM in response to hcsitas

Thank you so much for your help and advice. Yes, I agree with you, my router EA9300 do have issues with its Wifi performance, and that is the reason why it has been reset two days ago, my desktop keep having issues with 5ghz network. You know its wired, I have another router as my main router that has been using for almost 7 years, Asus RT66U, still working like a charm, never have issues like Linksys EA9300 did to me. I already order a new one last night from BestBuy, it's time for me to say goodbye as I can't even find the its product page on Linksys website.

Placing Mac mini or any device connect to 5GHZ just like buying a house, it's all about location, location, location. Hope I can still keep that ratio after new router is here ;)

Feb 18, 2021 9:01 AM in response to McHenryZ

ASUS is a good selection. I have the 66 too, disconnected and stored in my basement. It works fine but as a matter of principle I replace routers every 5 years or so. I replaced my 66 with an 87 last. On the mini, I routinely get 975-1170 Mbps Tx-Rx with 5 GHz AC and sometimes 1300 Mbps Tx-Rx. That's with the router placed in an adjacent room. So you should easily achieve it too...enjoy!

Mac mini M1 wifi connect issues (possible device interference issues)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.