You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow and intermittent failed WiFi connectivity with Macbook Air M1

I have recently changed from MBA 11" to new MBA 13" M1 2020 ( running on Big Sur v11.4 ). Have been encountering problem with the WiFi connectivity, especially when the signal bar is <=2 bars. This issue happens to both 2.4GHz and 5.2GHz/5.7GHz.

Brief of the issues:

1. Apparently, most of the time I got no Internet connection esp. once it got connected from switched off. It took a while ( ~2-3 mins ) before it got any connectivity. During this stage, WiFi is connected with both IPv4 and IPv6 assigned to my MBA. Noticed this mostly happens to those IPv6 site, and it improved after I'd changed my IPv6 to Link-local only.
  2. Most annoying scenario, found that the intermittently latency to the router can be as high as 150~200ms that cause extremely poor upload connectivity. Additional info below:
    • I am quite sure it has nothing to do with WiFi interference or router issue. I had tested with several WiFi router / places and scanned thru the surrounding WiFi channels. No similar behaviour/issue if I place my old MBA 11" at same spot and same time.
    • Another obvious case esp when I am on video conferencing. My video is bad and voice become breaking to the recipient whereas I could see and hear them very clear.
    • Upload a 5MB file to online storage like Google Drive take ages to complete.

Is anyone experiencing the same like my case? Not sure if this is hardware or WiFi software or settings like MTU issue? Can anyone please help and advise?

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 8:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 7:29 AM

Thank you everyone!! I found the culprit and issue resolved.

Apparently I found that the issue only happena on Google Chrome, but not on Safari especially when I do web based video conferencing. So far everything works well after reinstall my Chrome.

Think to post here, so it may benefits other that could have same issue.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2021 7:29 AM in response to josiisme

Thank you everyone!! I found the culprit and issue resolved.

Apparently I found that the issue only happena on Google Chrome, but not on Safari especially when I do web based video conferencing. So far everything works well after reinstall my Chrome.

Think to post here, so it may benefits other that could have same issue.

Jul 7, 2021 2:27 PM in response to josiisme

Hi josiisme,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with internet connectivity. You mentioned you tested other places. Do you mean you have tested with other networks in different locations?

You might want to check with your internet service provider to make sure everything is good on their end.

Check out If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi and Solve internet connection problems on Mac.

You can try to Start up your Mac in safe mode and see if the same thing happens. 

You might also want to create a new user and test there as well. Learn how to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac here.

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2021 8:26 AM in response to josiisme

Hi josiisme,

Thank you for your follow up. You can run your computer in safe mode but some features may not be available as it disables them. This also includes third party software.

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed." - How to use safe mode on your Mac.

If your WiFi is working as expected in safe mode you can try to restart your computer and see if the issue is resolved. "To leave safe mode, restart your Mac normally, without pressing and holding any keys during startup."

If you continue to see the connectivity issue you should check for Profiles and check your third party software. Check out the section "Remove a configuration profile from your Mac" in  Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers. You want to uninstall any third party software and test.

Were you able to run a Wireless Diagnostic?

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2021 10:35 AM in response to josiisme

Hi josiisme,

That sounds good. Yes, if you wanted to reinstall your macOS, you will still have all of your data, it does not remove data. However, you should create a backup anyway just in case. Learn how to Back up your Mac with Time Machine here.

You will see Profiles in your "System Preferences" pane.

If you are not seeing the connectivity issue in safe mode then there must be something else going on in your user, but it wouldn't hurt to check with your internet service provider to make sure everything is good on their end.

Cheers!

Jul 10, 2021 8:48 AM in response to mingoslkd

Hi migoslkd

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Looks like it's not wise to continue to run in safe mode. Let me try several days and observe if the issue is resolved. Seems the last step I could do it to reinstall MacOS. In case I need to reinstall, could I preserve all my data but only reinstall OS or everything will be wiped out?

I couldn't find "Profile" in Big Sur, and is it called "Users and Groups" or I had located wrong menu? Currently only me and Guest account. I tried by creating a new account before went to Safe mode, it was same behaviour.

Yes, I did - the output file is huge! I saw some core files captured..I also found very bad ping performance to my router, which not observe the same on other device. Is this something not right with MBA M1 wifi firmware? Any idea? :)

————————————————

Ping Performance (192.168.0.1)

————————————————

count=10

min=1155.72 ms

max=1564.70 ms

avg=1342.61 ms

stddev=116.59 ms

loss=0.00%

Jul 10, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Leanne_68

HI Leanne,

Thanks for your advices. I'd tried all the suggestions, apparently seems it's better when in safe mode.

During in safe mode, I can have near to real time voice when on conference call ( when wifi is 2 bars ). Much better than earlier, which delays for 3-5 seconds or breaking voice. Do you know any idea or any step I could take to restore? Can I continue to run my laptop in safe mode?

Thank you!

Slow and intermittent failed WiFi connectivity with Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.