You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to worry about transmitting malware/virus to others?

Just went through some strange pop-ups on brand new MBPro with M1 chip - things like - 'not enough storage' popped up. Found out about anti-malware through Apple consult chat, installed Malwarebytes - have 8 items I quarantined, not sure what that even means. Do I have to worry about transmitting malware/virus to others when I use this computer - which I am using right now? Or is the malware contained and sent off to foreign planets?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 12:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 12:46 PM

The Quarantine process places the disabled malware files in a folder, which can be reviewed or deleted as desired. Malware is not exactly a virus, but is bothersome none the less. Regardless, Macs are still at the stage where viruses are not at all common ... or even existent. Although, recently in the news, there is talk about the "Silver Sparrow" virus which currently does not have a destructive payload. Malwarebytes for Mac should be able to detect this virus and remove it.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Longtimeswimmer

The Quarantine process places the disabled malware files in a folder, which can be reviewed or deleted as desired. Malware is not exactly a virus, but is bothersome none the less. Regardless, Macs are still at the stage where viruses are not at all common ... or even existent. Although, recently in the news, there is talk about the "Silver Sparrow" virus which currently does not have a destructive payload. Malwarebytes for Mac should be able to detect this virus and remove it.

Do I have to worry about transmitting malware/virus to others?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.