You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod sound keeps cutting out

I have a problem with BOTH my Apple HomePod speakers (one of which is a Mini). I play the music from iTunes (v12.11.0.26) on my PC and use AirPlay to Apple TV (Ethernet) and both HomePods (Wi-Fi).

The sound through Apple TV is excellent. However, both HomePods intermittently cut out. They will play the start of a song, cut out and then always pick up again for the last 5 seconds of the song. The next song will start to play, sometimes the whole song continues fine, but other times it cuts out again, only to restart for the last 5 secs of the song!

Although my HomePod Mini is new, this problem has always existed on my original HomePod. Now you could blame my Wi-Fi, BUT I have a Libratone ZIPP 2, which works absolutely fine ALL of the time. Also, I have tried moving the HomePods next to the Wi-Fi Access Points, but this makes no difference to the erratic behaviour.

Strangely, Libratone seems to have implemented AirPlay better than Apple on a device that costs about 3x less!

How do I troubleshoot this issue? It's so frustrating; I barely used my first HomePod because of this issue; I just assumed I was an early adopter, and it had a fault. Now I've discovered that even a 2021 Mini has the same problem.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 10:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 10:41 AM

HomePod appears to work better with simple router configurations. Use Feedback - HomePod - Apple to share the details with Apple. Include details of the router/Wi-Fi gear you are using.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

HomePod sound keeps cutting out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.