You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Mini issue, touch volume control changes music source

My HomePod Mini has an issue with the volume control where if I try to raise the volume using the touch control, the HomePod Mini will start playing something else instead. I am certain that I am not accidentally touching it in the wrong place. It seems like the HomePod Mini is not sensing that it is on so is behaving as if I have just turned it on.

I have had the HomePod Mini for just over a year and have not experienced this issue before. My typical use scenario is to AirPlay from my iPad (Apple Music library) to both the HomePod and to my network receiver. The problem occurs quite frequently but is not all that consistent. I have briefly tried to see if I can consistently make the problem occur when just the HomePod Mini is connected or when it is connected last but have not had any success. I have noticed that it seems to happen when the HomePod Mini’s light is not on. It seems to me the light was always active before while in use but that doesn’t seem to be the case now. I have looked at what is being displayed for it in the Home app before attempting the volume change and it shows the correct music selection being streamed from the iPad.

Has anyone experienced this and know what the issue might be.  Any help appreciated.

HomePod mini

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 7:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 10:19 AM

NE-T0604 Y,

To address the various issues with HomePod mini not responding to the controls, restart HomePod mini.

Open the Home app on the primary user's iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, press and hold HomePod. On Mac, double-click HomePod. Scroll down and tap or click Reset HomePod, then select Restart HomePod.

If you noticed the behavior continues, you can remove HomePod mini from the Home app and add it back.

Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that's signed in with the Apple ID used to set up HomePod. On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, press and hold HomePod. On Mac, double-click HomePod. Scroll down and tap or click Reset HomePod, then tap or click Remove Accessory. 

You can view these steps and additional HomePod troubleshooting in If HomePod mini or HomePod isn't responding.

Regards.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2022 10:19 AM in response to NE-T0604 Y

NE-T0604 Y,

To address the various issues with HomePod mini not responding to the controls, restart HomePod mini.

Open the Home app on the primary user's iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, press and hold HomePod. On Mac, double-click HomePod. Scroll down and tap or click Reset HomePod, then select Restart HomePod.

If you noticed the behavior continues, you can remove HomePod mini from the Home app and add it back.

Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that's signed in with the Apple ID used to set up HomePod. On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, press and hold HomePod. On Mac, double-click HomePod. Scroll down and tap or click Reset HomePod, then tap or click Remove Accessory. 

You can view these steps and additional HomePod troubleshooting in If HomePod mini or HomePod isn't responding.

Regards.

Mar 24, 2022 7:01 AM in response to NE-T0604 Y

Hey NE-T0604 Y,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. Since many fixes are included with updates, make sure the HomePod mini is up-to-date by following the steps below:

"Make sure that your device is updated to the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or macOS. Open the Home app. Select Home, then Home Settings > Software Update.Select HomePod to turn automatic updates on or off. If there's a new update, select Update. Software Update will also tell you if your HomePod is already up to date, and show you the installed HomePod software.

A white spinning light appears on the top of HomePod while it's updating. The update might take some time. Make sure that your HomePod stays plugged in while it's updating."

You can also view the steps here here: Update HomePod

Make sure you have a current backup of your iPad and make sure it is up-to-date as well: Update iPadOS.

"If you have trouble using the touch controls on HomePod mini or HomePod, Touch Accommodations can help. ": Use Touch Accommodations on HomePod mini and HomePod.

Here's another article that may interest you: If HomePod mini or HomePod isn't responding. It has some great HomePod troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Mar 24, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Sheree_P

Thank you. The HomePod was up to date. I just updated the iPad last night and will monitor for any improvements. It does seem to have something to do with streaming to the two devices simultaneously with AirPlay. I haven't seen any issues when just streaming to the HomePod mini alone, but sometimes things get a little strange when streaming to the HomePod and the network receiver:

-sometimes AirPlay will show each connected device separately (that seems to be the best choice for avoiding the problem with the touch volume control on the HomePod mini)

-sometimes AirPlay will show both devices together as a single connection (this seems to sometimes result in the normally active light on the HomePod mini going out and the problem with the touch volume control occurring)

-I have also noticed that clicking off and on of the two connections can result in AirPlay showing it streaming to the wrong output device (also resulting in the problem I'm trying to solve)

So I am thinking it is probably more of an AirPlay problem than a HomePod problem. I will see if it is possible to ensure the two output devices remain separate.

Mar 25, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Rigo_O86

Thanks for the suggestion but the issues I am having are quite different.

As I continue to test and observe I can say that whether the two output devices are displayed separately or as a single item does not seem to be predictive of behaviour at the HomePod with the touch controls. I am now experiencing an inability to skip tracks or turn the HomePod mini off using touch controls while the volume controls are working, even if the light on the HomePod mini is off. This is making me wonder if the issue really is with the HomePod rather than AirPlay. I am also now finding that the HomePod mini's light will come on when it is touched and stay on for a short period before going out again. So I am not sure whether the light is supposed to be on all the while the HomePod is active or not but the touch controls are still not always working.

HomePod Mini issue, touch volume control changes music source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.