You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word and excel on apple products

Am I right in thinking that there are 'display only' versions of Office programs on Apple products? I quite happily display Word documents and Excel spreadsheets, ever Powerpoint presentations on my ipad, but I can't create new Word documents, Excel spreadsheets - it seems to be read and modify only.

I do have a licence for MS Office on my Windows desktop pc. Is that what allows me?

I've just bought a Mac Pro and I want to be able to use Office on it.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 8:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 8:26 AM

Some other app like TextEdit or Apple's Pages ( a word processor) or Numbers (spreadsheet) are probably opening your Office files.

Yes, it you want full MS Office capabilities, you must install Office on the Mac.

Is your install of Office on the PC the subscription-based Office 365? If so, that should allow you to also install it on the Mac without paying again. Otherwise you need to buy again.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 18, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Taffstuart

Some other app like TextEdit or Apple's Pages ( a word processor) or Numbers (spreadsheet) are probably opening your Office files.

Yes, it you want full MS Office capabilities, you must install Office on the Mac.

Is your install of Office on the PC the subscription-based Office 365? If so, that should allow you to also install it on the Mac without paying again. Otherwise you need to buy again.

Mar 18, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Taffstuart

Taffstuart wrote:

Many thanks. I'm running Office 16 on Windows, so I'd probably have to purchase Office for Mac or whatever it is called. But I understand that the Apple equivalents are quite satisfactory and compatible with MS Office anyway aren't they?

They are the same product. Office 365 or Office 2019 runs on both Macs and Windows PCs.

word and excel on apple products

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.