You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I erase a computer I no longer own will it erase new owners data

I sold my Mac Pro to someone and it is still showing on my "Find My Phone" account. The only choice I have it to erase it, but will that also erase the new owners dad?

Posted on Mar 19, 2021 12:12 PM

12 replies

Mar 19, 2021 5:49 PM in response to TheLittles

I don't think you understand. I do not have the computer anymore. It does not show up under my account either. It just shows up on find my phone. And I don't have any option to remove it in find my phone. There is an activate button which means it is not signed in. Of course all the other ways show it is not signed in. I have removed it from my devices everywhere also. I have already done all steps suggested and more of my own. I just can't get it off the find my phone app

Mar 19, 2021 5:10 PM in response to GreekGeek1157

GreekGeek1157 Said:

"If I erase a computer I no longer own will it erase new owners data: Yeah I kind of figured that. I aim positive I signed out of Apple ID before I wiped it. But apparently apple still leaves fragments around. I have learned that you need to sign out of every single thing that connects to iCloud and Apple's ecosystem. One major sign out from your Apple ID does not do it."

-------

Removing Devices:

So, can you get in from of this Mac again? If you are able to log In to it, then remove the device. It's no more than a matter of Security & Privacy. Seems simple enough of a solution. Go Here: View and Remove your Associated Devices for Purchases - Apple Support

Learn form This:

Take this as a learning experience, knowing to use this Link, next time you go about selling a Mac: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

90-Day Limit:

A device can only be associated with one account at a time - once every 90 days. So, if it is not going throgh, then they may have to wait until they can assist it to their own account.

Mar 19, 2021 5:36 PM in response to GreekGeek1157

GreekGeek1157 Said:

"If I erase a computer I no longer own will it erase new owners data: Of course I tried all that. Somehow its still showing up on Find My Phone."

-------

Call Apple and Screenshare:

So, get infront of the computer once more, and perform all of this. If need be, contact Apple Support once more, and have them run you through the fix. This time, however, perform some screensharing, on an iPhone and your Mac.

Screensharing with the Apple Rep:

To easily perform this over the phone with the Apple Rep, screenshare the camera of your iPhone and screenshare your Mac's screen. Ask a friend, or family member if you may use their phone, if you do not have none handy. This will allow the Apple Rep to see this firsthand from your perspective.

Learn more Here: Screenshare your iPhone with the Camera App Enabled to Easily Converse Over-the-Phone with Apple Support - User Tips

Why Calls are a Bit of a Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. And, that makes sense because with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Mar 19, 2021 4:33 PM in response to gntlmnking

Thank you but I need to be more specific. I had a 2019 Mac Pro. I totally wiped all hard drives and re-installed Catalina for the person I sold it to. However today I went to use the "Find my phone" app on my iPhone and this sold Mac Pro still shows up on it. When I navigate through the app there is no option of removing it. Only an option to activate or erase it. I don't want to activate it obviously but I want it completely unattached to me. I don't want to erase it either because I am afraid it might erase his data. So somehow I need to get my Apple ID off of that computer. I called Apple Care already and as usual that was a dead end. I don't have any info on the guy I sold it to either which I usually do. So if I can get in touch with him, how would I go about getting my ID off of it without messing any of his data up? I hope this explains it better. Thank you.

Mar 19, 2021 4:56 PM in response to GreekGeek1157

GreekGeek1157 Said:

"If I erase a computer I no longer own will it erase new owners data: I sold my Mac Pro to someone and it is still showing on my 'Find My Phone' account. The only choice I have it to erase it, but will that also erase the new owners dad? [...]I don't want to erase it either because I am afraid it might erase his data. So somehow I need to get my Apple ID off of that computer.[...]So if I can get in touch with him, how would I go about getting my ID off of it without messing any of his data up? I"

-------

Contact them:

The only way to do this would be to do so in-person with the device in front of you. Don't share your Apple Credentials with anyone, as they might be able to purchase something (or confiscate it).

If I erase a computer I no longer own will it erase new owners data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.