You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purgeable space on external SSD

Hey guys. I've got a couple of external SSD attached to my Mac (running Catalina) that have purgeable data on them. I've been trying to find a way of getting rid of it but all the info I've been able to find only refers to the internal Macintosh HD.

Is there a way of clearing purgeable space on external drives via terminal or any other method?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 3:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:35 PM

An SSD has to go through its garbage collection routine to make the storage location previously used writeable again. That may be why the OS indicates it is purgeable. That doesn't happen instantaneously or even quickly.

6 replies

Mar 31, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Dazza76

Hey there Dazza76,

We understand you're trying to clear the purgeable storage on your external drives. We'll be happy to help.

There is not a direct, built-in, way to do this within macOS. However, you can optimize storage and make more room with the steps here: How to free up storage space on your Mac

If you questions about this beyond what's shown there, reach out directly to Apple Support for further assistance. Use this link: Get Support

Cheers!

Apr 2, 2021 6:45 AM in response to Dazza76

"Purgeable" doesn't mean stuff that the OS is waiting to delete.

Along with items that the OS created and doesn't necessarily need (like local TM snapshots), it is also items you have created that the OS knows exist somewhere else, like on iCloud Drive.

So, the purgeable space on the external may be your files. There is no option to tell it to purge the space. If it is your files, you would need to delete them. I doubt anything on an external is OS-created purgeable items.

Purgeable space on external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.