You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

arrangement tab

Hello,

Recently I have tried to use an old iMac (2009) as a second screen for my MacBook Pro (2015) but when I click on displays the arrangement tab doesn't appear.

I think it's also worth noting that I tried this with a Mini DisplayPort to an HDMI-port (With the use of a normal HDMI cable and a Mini DisplayPort transformer/adapter).

I hope that you can help me!

All the best!

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 7:37 AM

Requires certain models of iMac 2009 thru 2014 using no later than High Sierra

requires EXACT cables shown in the article (Never HDMI)

not supported on MacBooks after 2019 models:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

3 replies

Apr 15, 2021 1:58 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank You for your help!!

I'm using a 20 inch iMac from early 2009 (iMac9,1) with the operating system OS X El Capitan. I want to connect it to my 13 inch Macbook Pro from early 2015 (MacBookPro12,1) using a Mini DisplayPort Cable.

I'm having issues connecting the two, I've tried every possible combination of Command-F2 and Command-Fn-F2 when both computers are logged in to the MacOS user account as well as when one of them isn't logged in.

I think that maybe my iMac isn't on the compatible iMacs list and I'm hoping that you could help me! Is there any other way for me to connect these Models? Another suggestion could be maybe an adapter from Mini DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 2 but after that I'm all out of ideas.

Thank you in advance!

arrangement tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.