You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Numbers doc at specific cell

How can I open a numbers doc so that it opens at a specific place on a specific sheet? Or ideally at the cell(s) I was last working on?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 11:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 4:59 AM

Hi SG,

Sorry, but I do not agree. This may help Simon and other users.

Tested in Numbers 10.2 under macOS 10.15.4 Catalina

My settings in System Preferences > General

In Numbers,

• The graph is selected;
  • Save (important!);
  • Quit Numbers;
  • Shut Down;
  • Restart;
  • Launch Numbers and navigate to open that document;
  • Exactly the same objects are selected.

I agree with the OP Simon that the selected objects may not remain selected in an exported Microsoft Excel document.

Stay safe, my friend.

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2021 4:59 AM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

Sorry, but I do not agree. This may help Simon and other users.

Tested in Numbers 10.2 under macOS 10.15.4 Catalina

My settings in System Preferences > General

In Numbers,

• The graph is selected;
  • Save (important!);
  • Quit Numbers;
  • Shut Down;
  • Restart;
  • Launch Numbers and navigate to open that document;
  • Exactly the same objects are selected.

I agree with the OP Simon that the selected objects may not remain selected in an exported Microsoft Excel document.

Stay safe, my friend.

Regards,

Ian.

Apr 12, 2021 3:37 AM in response to SGIII

Ah - yes, that does work. I should have been more specific - I am saving my Numbers files as .xls files so I can easily send them to others who are using MS. So yes, that does work when opening a file saved as a .numbers but not as a .xls . Looks like this might be simply another Apple v MS issue that I can't do anything about.

Apr 14, 2021 2:05 AM in response to Yellowbox

OK, so that works when saving a numbers doc as .numbers Unfortunately, when saving as .xls it reopens at the beginning every time. Obviously some bug that happens when saving in that format.

I know I could simply work in .numbers and then export when I want to send to someone and maybe I'll end up doing that. It seems to be the only answer.

Apr 14, 2021 3:19 AM in response to simon12

simon12 wrote:

OK, so that works when saving a numbers doc as .numbers Unfortunately, when saving as .xls it reopens at the beginning every time. Obviously some bug that happens when saving in that format.

I wouldn't consider that a "bug." After all .xlsx or the older .xls are not a native format for Numbers, which has a very different design from Excel. Numbers does not try to be a clone of Excel. The ability to import and export in that format are a convenience, not a perfect solution.

Have you tried opening a .numbers file in Excel? (The answer is it you can't.) That's not really a "bug" either.

If you frequently need to send/receive files in .xlsx or .xls format then you are better off with Excel or one of its clones like LibreOffice.

SG

Apr 14, 2021 10:21 AM in response to SGIII

I have found that MSOffice simply does not play well in OSX and certainly not as smoothly as Pages, Numbers, etc. I tried Libre Office but I had other issues with it's formatting of existing .doc files.

It looks like there isn't a fix for this and given it's a relatively small issue, I think I'll simply have to just keep everything in the Apple family and then export to .xls or .doc when I need to share a document.

Opening Numbers doc at specific cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.