You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failure of IMac to boot up

I opened my iMac today and was brought to a screen with a blinking file with a question mark. I followed the instructions and rebooted but now I have a blank grey screen. What do I do next? It seems to have lost the boot up drive.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 6:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 8:50 PM

Please follow the steps Apple describes in If your Mac starts up to a question mark. If you get through all the steps and it still will not startup your next step is to take it into an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. If you do know of any, please click Apple Authorized Service Provider Locator (AASP) & Genius Appointment

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2021 8:50 PM in response to Bisbro3

Please follow the steps Apple describes in If your Mac starts up to a question mark. If you get through all the steps and it still will not startup your next step is to take it into an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. If you do know of any, please click Apple Authorized Service Provider Locator (AASP) & Genius Appointment

Apr 8, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Bisbro3

The blinking question mark is a sign that your machine cannot access the boot/startup drive. Not sure what to make of the blank grey screen.

What instructions are you referring too?

How old is your machine? What type of drive do you have?

Give it a virtual kick.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3497603&#3497603

power down machine.

hold down the option/alt key

continue holding

you should get a list if startup drives. less ten 10 seconds

You should boot up in recovery mode. command + r

see if you can run disk repair

Report back.

R

Failure of IMac to boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.