You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to stop MacOS low-lighting the menu bar on external monitors not currently in focus

I use two external monitors with my MBP. The menu bar on the screen I am not currently focused on is low-lighted, making some text unreadable:

Ordinarily, it looks like this:

I would like the menu bar on both screens to be identical. Is this possible?

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 11:02 AM

That is normal.

Much like a window that has focus looks different from a background window, the same is true of the menu bar of the active display vs the menu bar on other displays.

Maybe this will help: you can merely click on an empty space on the menu bar to make that display "active".

7 replies

Apr 15, 2021 9:53 AM in response to rjbourne

AFAICT there is no option to change that. I do use two displays, and despite my old eyes I don't feel bothered by this dimming of the menu bar.

Two things you can do:

a) Send Apple feedback. Only Apple can change the OS.

http://www.apple.com/feedback

b) Experiment with different desktop wallpapers to hopefully find one that gives you better contrast when inactive

Is there a way to stop MacOS low-lighting the menu bar on external monitors not currently in focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.