You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop/Documents can't be opened because the original item can't be found

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Desktop became empty and non-usable, only background image. When I tried to launch it from Finder there was a mistake "Desktop can't be opened because the original item can't be found". The same issue with "Documents" folder.

Tried to reboot in safe mode - black screen, nothing happened after log-in.

Tried to delete Desktop & Documents from favorites and can't add it again. I just don't see these folders in the Sidebar list.

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 2:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM

1. Desktop is not active on my main user: I can't use it, save something here, it's empty - only background image
  2. Desktop and Documents folders disappeared and I can't find any info or any file from these folders through Spotlight or manually
  3. When I tried to open it from Finder there was a mistake "Desktop can't be opened because the original item can't be found"
  4. I disabled and deleted these non-working folders from Finder and tried to show them in Sidebar menu but there were nothing (see attached screenshot from first post)
  5. I can't turn on "Desktop & Documents folders" in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive (Options) > Desktop & Documents Folders. When I check it, then close it, reopened it and its unchecked (no synchronizing I guess, some fking iCloud mistake)
  6. I can't use my Desktop in the main user because THERE ARE NO desktop & documents folders in the whole system. Desktop is empty, I don't see them in Finder, I can't check it in Finders preferences because I see 2 minuses in empty folders (attached picture)
  7. I see only 2 folders "Desktop" and "Documents" in my iCloud Drive dated 2nd April and containing 1 or 2 files (almost nothing). The problem first appeared several (2-4) days ago.
  8. I can't run my Mac in Safe Mode (when I click Shift while turning off the computer it moves me to user selection, I'm logging and then just black screen.
  9. I tried to use First Aid Disk Utility in Recovery Mode and there was a mistake "The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely"

I don't have local Apple Store in my country.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2021 2:30 PM in response to Tesserax

1. Desktop is not active on my main user: I can't use it, save something here, it's empty - only background image
  2. Desktop and Documents folders disappeared and I can't find any info or any file from these folders through Spotlight or manually
  3. When I tried to open it from Finder there was a mistake "Desktop can't be opened because the original item can't be found"
  4. I disabled and deleted these non-working folders from Finder and tried to show them in Sidebar menu but there were nothing (see attached screenshot from first post)
  5. I can't turn on "Desktop & Documents folders" in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive (Options) > Desktop & Documents Folders. When I check it, then close it, reopened it and its unchecked (no synchronizing I guess, some fking iCloud mistake)
  6. I can't use my Desktop in the main user because THERE ARE NO desktop & documents folders in the whole system. Desktop is empty, I don't see them in Finder, I can't check it in Finders preferences because I see 2 minuses in empty folders (attached picture)
  7. I see only 2 folders "Desktop" and "Documents" in my iCloud Drive dated 2nd April and containing 1 or 2 files (almost nothing). The problem first appeared several (2-4) days ago.
  8. I can't run my Mac in Safe Mode (when I click Shift while turning off the computer it moves me to user selection, I'm logging and then just black screen.
  9. I tried to use First Aid Disk Utility in Recovery Mode and there was a mistake "The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely"

I don't have local Apple Store in my country.

Apr 23, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Trevi2412

If you can't run your Mac in Safe mode, there may be more issues with it than just the missing files/folders. At this point, you need to make a Genius Bar appointment at you local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to completely troubleshoot you Mac. Sound like you already had some outfit look at it. I suggest you try another one.

Desktop/Documents can't be opened because the original item can't be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.