You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop and documets folders can't be opened

In the finder if I try to open the Documents or Desktop folders, I get this error message and a spinning wheel that goes on infinitely: "Documents cannot be opened because the original item cannot be found."

This is a 2020 13" macbook pro, running Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.3

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 8:55 AM

10 replies

Dec 5, 2021 6:36 AM in response to cdr479bde

cdr479bde wrote:

I recently acquired a MacBook Pro running MacOS Big Sur 11.6.1 from a friend. He removed all his data and applications from the system. I am now attempting to load my data and apps to it from my iMac. When I attempt to open Documents or Desktop from the Finder or Macintosh HD icon using the sidebar I get the following error message 'Documents (Desktop) can't be opened because the original item can't be found'. Is there a fix or circumvention for this issue? Any and all assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks.

We hope your friend did this What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac before you took possession of the computer. Otherwise - the computer is still associated with your friends Apple ID. That would mean, you find could at any time put the computer is a Lost State and Lock the computer totally. Worse case - they could Wipe the Computer of Everything and there would be nothing you could do about that.

If, the friend did not do the above, either take it back to them do this OR you should to this. This will actually Remove the Associated to their Apple ID and give you the new owner of the computer Completely Control of the computer.

Dec 5, 2021 6:12 AM in response to Dennis Taylor

I recently acquired a MacBook Pro running MacOS Big Sur 11.6.1 from a friend. He removed all his data and applications from the system. I am now attempting to load my data and apps to it from my iMac. When I attempt to open Documents or Desktop from the Finder or Macintosh HD icon using the sidebar I get the following error message 'Documents (Desktop) can't be opened because the original item can't be found'. Is there a fix or circumvention for this issue? Any and all assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2021 8:33 AM in response to cdr479bde

I'm afraid I cannot recall from the memory the whole process the Apple tech prompted me through. I do remember that the first thing we had to do was to reboot the computer in what she called "safe mode." In this mode, if you know the correct key punches you can add and delete the desktop and documents folders. I would call Apple tech support. There was no charge. I'm thinking Applecare applies on these newer machines. My call consisted of two parts. The first tech I talked with for over an hour and we tried making sure that I didn't have files on the desktop that had not been uploaded to the cloud. When that did not fix the situation she handed me off to another tech. In about a half hour we had it fixed. My total call was one hour and 50 minutes. But if you know up front that you have to go to safe mode, it should take so long. I hope this is helpful.

desktop and documets folders can't be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.