You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook pro Finder will not open documents

Why can my brand new MacBook pro not open documents or desktop? I get an error Message every time I click on it.

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:29 PM

your little video shows that you are using the Aliases in Finder Sidebar.

These are almost ALL replaceable.

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

In the available options, you should check YourName, with the House icon. add or subtract whatever else you want.

Look back in Finder. If YourName with the little house is not shown in the sidebar, you may have to Restart or Free-Quit the Finder so that it re-loads and show the house Icon.

More directions in the next reply.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Catcatcatcatcata

your little video shows that you are using the Aliases in Finder Sidebar.

These are almost ALL replaceable.

Finder > Preferences > Sidebar

In the available options, you should check YourName, with the House icon. add or subtract whatever else you want.

Look back in Finder. If YourName with the little house is not shown in the sidebar, you may have to Restart or Free-Quit the Finder so that it re-loads and show the house Icon.

More directions in the next reply.

Oct 24, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Catcatcatcatcata

Catcatcatcatcata wrote:

Why can my brand new MacBook pro not open documents or desktop? I get an error Message every time I click on it.

Old problem, new problem, what changed...

What specific file types...

are thes files local on your Mac or Desktop& Documents in iCloud...

are you signed into your same Apple ID...

If this is brand new Mac how did you go about setting it up?

What was the last macOS you were running compared to your current macOS Big Sur(?)

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

? Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Oct 25, 2021 6:02 PM in response to leroydouglas

It's a completely new problem, this is my very first Mac. I transferred from a Dell. I had the technicians at Micro Center (where I bought my MacBook) do file transfer, as my old computer completely wouldn't turn on anymore, so I couldn't do it myself.

It's been giving me this memo every time I try to open files. I can't even save things because it's giving me that message. It's "Documents" as in the whole entire tab in Finder, not any particular file, but the entirety of files in general.

Oct 26, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Now use the house Icon to open Your Userid, top-level. These are your "Live" folders, and should contain your documents and stuff.

-OR -If you have shown your Boot Drive in the sidebar, you can start there and open the Users folder, and then the YourName[Home] folder within it.

in the Finder Sidebar, drag the not-working Documents label (it's an Alias) off the sidebar, and it should go poof.

Then drag the correct working Documents Folder ONTO the sidebar, and slide it up or down to where you want it. this creates a good Alias to your "real" document folder.

New MacBook pro Finder will not open documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.