You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer music from iTunes to my iPhone now that the phone no longer appears in iTunes?

I can not figure out how to transfer music files to my phone from iTunes since things were updated to no longer function as they used to. (For the record, I am running OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), iTunes 12.8.2.3, with an iPhone SE running the latest iOS.) I can see my music and playlists through "Home Sharing", but I assume that will only work as long as I am on my home network. How might I be able to transfer the files to the phone to listen offline when I am away from home?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 4:15 PM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2021 7:47 AM in response to gmel

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes 12.8.2.3 while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Apr 26, 2021 5:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you. I meet the requirements you list above (iOS 14.4.2, iTunes 12.8.3.1, OSX 10.13.6), but I tried this and nothing happens when I double-click MobileDeviceUpdater. It appears in my Activity Monitor, but there is no "update" notification at all, and no indication that anything is happening (phone is plugged in directly to built-in USB and unlocked).

How can I transfer music from iTunes to my iPhone now that the phone no longer appears in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.