You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect an iPod 5th Generation (A1136) to a Windows 10 PC or an iPhone 12 iOS14?

Can I connect an iPod 5th Generation (A1136) to a Windows 10 PC or an iPhone 12 iOS14?

iPod Touch (5th Gen)

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 4:17 AM

Tumbalalaica wrote:

Remember, so far I have been unable to extract the files from the iPod because Windows 10 does not recognize the iPod as such except by name, without identifying it further.
The music is also in my PC, and this is how one line looks (there are 3,000+ like this):

<Missing Image>

Indeed I can play them on the computer, but I want to use iTunes to sort them by genre, album, artist, and more importantly, to create playlists.

Since I could not import them from the computer as a batch into iTunes, I thought of importing them from the iPod, but is also not possible. Doing one at a time is not reasonable.

I do appreciate the time you are spending answering my questions and I am grateful for that.

File > Add Folder to Library will import all media in a given folder and its subfolders.

tt2

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2021 4:17 AM in response to Tumbalalaica

Tumbalalaica wrote:

Remember, so far I have been unable to extract the files from the iPod because Windows 10 does not recognize the iPod as such except by name, without identifying it further.
The music is also in my PC, and this is how one line looks (there are 3,000+ like this):

<Missing Image>

Indeed I can play them on the computer, but I want to use iTunes to sort them by genre, album, artist, and more importantly, to create playlists.

Since I could not import them from the computer as a batch into iTunes, I thought of importing them from the iPod, but is also not possible. Doing one at a time is not reasonable.

I do appreciate the time you are spending answering my questions and I am grateful for that.

File > Add Folder to Library will import all media in a given folder and its subfolders.

tt2

Apr 29, 2021 8:08 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response. The problem is that my PC recognizes that it has an iPod connected but not the manufacturer. I have no driver for an iPod 5th Generation. I don't think Apple supports it anymore.

I know iTunes works fine because I can connect my iPhone 12 to it. However, I have 3,000 songs on the iPod I cannot access except through the iPod itself. I can hear them in the car or through ear pods but can't download them to either the PC or the iPhone.

Again, thank you for your response.

Apr 30, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Tumbalalaica

When you extract files from an old iPod they typically have some random four letter filename. If you remove the hidden flag from the file and put it in the Automatically Add to iTunes in your iTunes Media folder iTunes should add the track to the library and using the metadata in the file move and rename it. If it works with a single file it should work with the rest as a batch. Tracks that don't carry a tag, .wav files, or .m4a files generated when using the convert higher bitrate songs to XXX AAC don't have tags and will inherit their random filenames as track titles. Where are you with respect to this issue? Why do you want to convert 3,000 songs to a different format? Your computer and iPhone can play .m4a/AAC tracks.

tt2

Apr 30, 2021 3:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.