You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cane you retrieve original songs Apple Music has replaced with their version?

I found live recording of the Viva Forever musical (with songs from Spice Girls) and added them to my iTunes library at the time. Even if I made sure the artist was named "Viva Forever cast" and not Spice Girls, Apple Music has replaced some songs with the official versions of the Spice Girls, sometimes replaced by a totally different song, on all my devices.

So first how is it possible that

"Artist: Viva Forever cast, Song: Goodbye/Mama/Headlines Medley, Album: Viva Forever Musical"

was replaced by

"Artist: Spice Girls, Song: Right Back At Ya, Album: Forever"

when none of the three main points match?

And is there a way for me to retrieve these songs when my hard drive has failed and even Time Machine won't go back in time?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 2:23 PM

Alana,

The matching algorithm works on an audio fingerprint, not on the test of the metadata. You can probably figure out why they do it that way, but it sometimes results in inaccurate matches.

As for retrieving an original file, you will need to go to a past backup or get a new copy from the source.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2021 2:23 PM in response to alanasound

Alana,

The matching algorithm works on an audio fingerprint, not on the test of the metadata. You can probably figure out why they do it that way, but it sometimes results in inaccurate matches.

As for retrieving an original file, you will need to go to a past backup or get a new copy from the source.

Cane you retrieve original songs Apple Music has replaced with their version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.