You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I sum a column in numbers without using auto select?

I know I can select the first cell in a column then drag the selection down to sum, but when i add a row I need to do the same thing again adding the cell in the new row to the election and sum.

Is there a way to just say I want all the cells in the column summed and put into the totals cell at the bottom of the column(footer)?

Perhaps this is small annoyances, but I add so many rows and want so many columns totaled that it becomes annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on May 1, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 8:09 AM

PurduefanGA wrote:

Is there a way to just say I want all the cells in the column summed and put into the totals cell at the bottom of the column(footer)?

Yes! Numbers makes this easy. Define the bottom row as a Footer Row. One way to do that is this:

Then in the formula refer to the entire column, like this:

=SUM(A)

Now, when you add a new body row (you can do that going to the last row before the Footer Row and hitting <return>) the formula will automatically include the value in the new row.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2021 8:09 AM in response to PurduefanGA

PurduefanGA wrote:

Yes! Numbers makes this easy. Define the bottom row as a Footer Row. One way to do that is this:

Then in the formula refer to the entire column, like this:

=SUM(A)

Now, when you add a new body row (you can do that going to the last row before the Footer Row and hitting <return>) the formula will automatically include the value in the new row.

SG

May 1, 2021 8:03 AM in response to PurduefanGA

Instead of SUM(B2:B20) you can use =SUM(B). The "B" will refer to all cells in the column other than header and footer cells.

But I'm not clear what you are doing and why when you add a new row it is not being included in your sum automatically. If I have a table with the formula =SUM(B2:B20) in the footer (row 21) and I add a new data row at the bottom, the sum in the footer adjusts to be =SUM(B2:B21).

can I sum a column in numbers without using auto select?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.