You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging – constantly need to reset SMC

I have some trouble with my battery or USB C ports, not sure which one. Every so often my battery will claim it's charging while the power cable is not even connected (it shows the power plug icon on the battery). No change when I connect the power cable (no matter which of the two slots I use), no "pling" sound for charging, and it will keep draining the battery until I reset the SMC. It's not even working with the power through the cable like when you run intensvie tasks. At the same time USB C sticks or other devices are not recognized through the ports until I do the reset.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone else experience this? Can it be repaired once I save up the money to do so?

On my old MacBook Pro (2011) I had this problem (with usb ports) exactly once in eight years of constant use, now with my new MacBook Air (2018) it occurs every couple of weeks and it is really annoying.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on May 2, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 8:11 AM

Looks like you have done all that can be done at this time. Suggest Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

Similar questions

6 replies

Battery not charging – constantly need to reset SMC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.