You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t the email password work?

A week and a half ago, my husband’s email quit updating on his iPhone and his iPad. It kept telling him to enter his password. I changed it numerous times, checked the settings, called at&t support and nothing worked. AT&T support escalated the issue to another level, but it’s been over a week and no one got back to me.

I deleted the account today and re-added it with the same results. I finally downloaded a separate app for the email, but I’m not that happy with it.

Any ideas why this is happening?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2021 9:19 PM

Elldabee Said:

"Why won’t the email password work?: A week and a half ago, my husband’s email quit updating on his iPhone and his iPad. It kept telling him to enter his password. I changed it numerous times, checked the settings, called at&t support and nothing worked."

-------

Use an App Password:

If your husband is unable to log in to his eMail account, it is likely because he needs to use an App Password, as his normal password will not work. As an example, here is the site for gmail: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2021 9:19 PM in response to Elldabee

Elldabee Said:

"Why won’t the email password work?: A week and a half ago, my husband’s email quit updating on his iPhone and his iPad. It kept telling him to enter his password. I changed it numerous times, checked the settings, called at&t support and nothing worked."

-------

Use an App Password:

If your husband is unable to log in to his eMail account, it is likely because he needs to use an App Password, as his normal password will not work. As an example, here is the site for gmail: Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help - Google

May 4, 2021 11:48 PM in response to Elldabee

Elldabee wrote:

AT&T manages the email account for prodigy.net.

Wow, we’re talking OLD when referring to prodigy.net.

For starters, I found this in Wikipedia’s writeup about prodigy.

Then when following the trail to SBC and Yahoo, it seems the trail ended roughly in 2017.

I strongly suggest starting over with a new email service provider.

May 4, 2021 5:26 PM in response to Elldabee

I sense some confusing mixing of facts here.

Elldabee wrote:

I … called at&t support and nothing worked.

Why might you have involved AT&T here? Because they’re your husband’s cellular carrier? That would be the wrong reason to involve them.

What matters most, and what you haven’t told us, is the identity of your husband’s email service provider.

I believe that is not AT&T.

Why won’t the email password work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.