You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating *just* Mail to a New MBP-M1 (Big Sur)

Am switching over to a new Mac and trying to do it as cleanly as possible. I'm reinstalling non-Mac apps and transferring files as needed from an external HD clone. In Mail, I would like to bring over my rules and local mailboxes & contents, but unsure as to 1) How, 2) Sequencing.

If I setup up my Pop/IMAP accounts on the new Mac, I suspect everything not yet deleted from the server will transfer into the inboxes (again) resulting in added bulk and a clean up effort.

Is there a process to import the account information and the associated mailboxes so the new Mail client picks up where the old one left off? If not, any suggestions as to how to best approach the transfer otherwise?

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.2

Posted on May 6, 2021 3:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 3:43 PM

EMH_OK wrote:

If I setup up my Pop/IMAP accounts on the new Mac, I suspect everything not yet deleted from the server will transfer into the inboxes (again) resulting in added bulk and a clean up effort.

That sounds true.

So the solution is to clean up all your mail stuff first, then simply move your mail from your mail server to the new Mac. Re-enter your mail rules on the new Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2021 3:43 PM in response to EMH_OK

EMH_OK wrote:

That sounds true.

So the solution is to clean up all your mail stuff first, then simply move your mail from your mail server to the new Mac. Re-enter your mail rules on the new Mac.

May 6, 2021 5:26 PM in response to sberman

Thanks, Sberman. I knew that would be the ideal, but it would take me months to find enough time to clean up the various emails at the various servers with their assorted webmail interfaces. The ISP for my primary addresses only displays a number of emails at a time on which you can act and it is very slow (unrelated to our internet speed). So, was trying to avoid that approach (acknowledging that I should have been taking care of that all along (for 20+ yrs)). In the interim (since I posted) this is what I came up with:

1) In the morning on day X I will turn all mail accounts on my old MBP off.

2) I will set up the various accounts on my new MBP and create a new rule for it to filter all emails received before day X directly into the trash.

3) When the downloads are through (I'll go do some yard work), I'll empty that trash and leave the accounts active.

4) I'll then go back to the old MBP and gather my mail from there and port it into the new Mail program.

What say the Community of the feasibility of this approach?

BTW, if anyone knows of a URL describing how to ensure one copies all their mail files on the old Mac to drop in the new one, I'd appreciate it. Would hate to mess that portion up.

Thanks!

May 15, 2021 7:27 AM in response to EMH_OK

Follow Up: This approach actually accomplished my objective. As previously mentioned - the ideal approach would be to have cleaned this up on the mail server - this would have taken *many* hours (>50K messages, and a poor webmail interface). This took maybe 1/2 hour. Once the new MBP was through downloading all the referenced mails from the server, I selected and deleted it all. Then I imported all the exported mailboxes from my old MBP (including the 'Sent' mailboxes for each account). The new MBP now contains only the emails I wished to transfer and any new email going forward. I also copied the Mail Preferences so that the Rules transferred as well. (I realize I can delete email from the server with Mail client settings and probably need to come up with a plan to do so going forward).

Cheers!

Migrating *just* Mail to a New MBP-M1 (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.