You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete all my archieved emails will it delete all my emails in my inbox?

I have over 4,000 emails in the archives of my Mail. I want to delete all the archived ones (or at least I think I do) without deleting the newer emails that I have in my inbox or various smart inboxes.

Can I do this without doing the latter?

Can I stop archiving things as well? I just want to keep what I want to keep and delete what I want to delete.

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 8, 2021 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 5:11 AM

If you aren’t actually archiving the emails, it sounds like you are using a Gmail account. They store every message in All Mail which Apple has mapped to the Archive mailbox.

You may be able to disable showing the All Mail label from showing up in IMAP email clients.

You may also be able to set it up to actually delete the emails from All Mail when you delete an email.

Use the web portal to access the Settings in Gmail.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2021 5:11 AM in response to BjornstadFægir4744

If you aren’t actually archiving the emails, it sounds like you are using a Gmail account. They store every message in All Mail which Apple has mapped to the Archive mailbox.

You may be able to disable showing the All Mail label from showing up in IMAP email clients.

You may also be able to set it up to actually delete the emails from All Mail when you delete an email.

Use the web portal to access the Settings in Gmail.

If I delete all my archieved emails will it delete all my emails in my inbox?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.