You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Selected movie won't play" error when playing from Apple Music to Homepod.

Sometimes when I hit play on Apple Music (on macOS) and the output it set to Homepod, I get this error, which makes no sense. Anyone else experience this, figure out why it happens and how to prevent it?

Happens with various tracks on Apple Music, happens when sound output is Homepod, not Apple TV, nor any other device. Seems to happen randomly, but regularly. Otherwise things play fine. Usually if I ignore the message and keep trying to play it eventually just plays.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 16, 2021 12:56 PM

7 replies

May 17, 2021 10:52 AM in response to Unaha-Closp

Hello Unaha-Closp,

It sounds like you are expernecing issues streaming to your HomePod. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

First, let's restart your HomePod and test. If the issue persists, reset your HomePod. This article should help: If HomePod isn't responding

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? Does the issue persist if you stream from another device? Which macOS do you currently use? Also, when did you first notice this?

Cheers!

May 27, 2021 12:32 PM in response to melissa_m77

The issue persists after restarting and resetting HomePod.

The issue occurs intermittently when streaming from a MacBook Pro, and a MacBook both running the latest OSes.

The issue has occurred intermittently since Apple Music replaced iTunes in June 2015. It will go long periods without occurring, and then will occur again and then more frequently, without any apparent pattern.

HDCP errors and problems seem very common out there, but this is especially weird because it's music streaming from Music on macOS to a HomePod, so it shouldn't be involved at all. The reason I control HomePod like this is that Siri is almost totally incapable of playing what you ask for, it almost always plays something else. This way you can directly choose what to play without the game of going back and forth 10 times to try and get Siri to play an album that you are looking at in Apple Music while it says "I'm sorry I can't find anything like that on Apple Music..."

It occurs only when playing music in Apple Music and selecting HomePod as the output. It just occurred again, so I came to see if there had been any response to this from people who have experienced this and figured out why it happens.

"Selected movie won't play" error when playing from Apple Music to Homepod.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.