You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac server

Hello all,

I'm sure the solution exists and yet not finding the right settings/mind set to accomplish.

NEED

MacMini home server to remain protected AND background services to run as if signed into account after an auto start (ie. after power failure.

BACKGROUND

Discovering at times that while away from home, no home server connection.

MacMini restarts after power failure fine, BUT there is no one home to log in.

Needed services (sync, software to remote in to host, etc) require logging in after reboot.

For testing purposes, if the MacMini is set to auto-login, no passwords etc...everything works fine.

Mini reboots on its own, services are available as expected. Problem there is that then everything is exposed and no protection to physical access...not a good compromise.

Posted on May 20, 2021 8:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 8:44 PM

Hoping others may have ways to achieve the objective of auto-launching services without having to log into an account on restart.

A LaunchDaemon is the proper way to do it. However, some things do not run without a user logged in. There is no way to bypass that. You would have to find a similar program that would run as a service.

From the original post, remote login doesn't require a user logged in. You should be able to SSH into the server without anyone logged in. You can configure sshd to only allow login via a certificate you generate. That would be more secure than username and password login.

However, you can likely use Screen Sharing to access it with a GUI instead of using ssh. I only have tried on my internal network, but the service is designed to work from outside, also.

No point in the discussion on keeping the device offline, as the point is to be running an online server.

I'm not sure where that came from. I didn't suggest it.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2021 8:44 PM in response to PixelRogue1

Hoping others may have ways to achieve the objective of auto-launching services without having to log into an account on restart.

A LaunchDaemon is the proper way to do it. However, some things do not run without a user logged in. There is no way to bypass that. You would have to find a similar program that would run as a service.

From the original post, remote login doesn't require a user logged in. You should be able to SSH into the server without anyone logged in. You can configure sshd to only allow login via a certificate you generate. That would be more secure than username and password login.

However, you can likely use Screen Sharing to access it with a GUI instead of using ssh. I only have tried on my internal network, but the service is designed to work from outside, also.

No point in the discussion on keeping the device offline, as the point is to be running an online server.

I'm not sure where that came from. I didn't suggest it.

May 20, 2021 4:33 PM in response to PixelRogue1

You would need to start all of those things via a LauchDaemon so that they are launched at startup. However, you may have things that require a user GUI login to exist.

Problem there is that then everything is exposed and no protection to physical access...not a good compromise.

How much more of a compromise is it than you already have created opening it up to the internet?

Do you have it properly secured? Maybe nobody needs to steal your Mini because they already have full access to it.

May 27, 2021 9:18 AM in response to Barney-15E

The sync app apparently can be run as a service in the background separate from logged in accounts. I will need to check w/them further on how the service would access files that are stored within an actual user account.

Thinking in theory it might be possible to get dockr apps running in the background as services as well...and if so that might solve a piece of the puzzle.

Mac server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.