You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password keeps getting reset

I had an issue two years ago, where I was being notified that my appleid password was being reset. These were not phishing emails, it was legitimately being reset, just not by me. I contacted apple support and it was verified. I had it happen a few times, so I just changed my appleid and it stopped. Fast forward and it happened again last night. Obviously, someone is resetting the appleid password again (and yes, I verified it was not a family member). The question is, if I have on two-factor authentication, whoever changes the password can still not access my account, correct? I verified the devices listed are all mine.

Posted on May 23, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 11:19 AM

IanJKing Said:

"The question is, if I have on two-factor authentication, whoever changes the password can still not access my account, correct? I verified the devices listed are all mine."

-------

Change your eMail Password:

Perhaps someone is getting in to your Apple Account through use of your eMail account? So, change the password on your eMail account, and enable Two Factor Authentication on the eMail account, if an option.

As for your Apple Account:

Go Here: View or Remove your Associated Devices on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

Try "Deauthorize All" Button:

Note that you have to wait one year to deauthorize all devices at once. So, try using the "Deauthorize All" button. If not used within the last year, then all should deauthorize.

1. Open: iTunes/TV/Music
  2. Go to: Account menu
  3. Select: View My Account
  4. Enter: Apple Account Password (if prompted)
  5. Scroll to: Computer Authorizations
  6. Click: Deauthorize All button

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2021 11:19 AM in response to IanJKing

IanJKing Said:

"The question is, if I have on two-factor authentication, whoever changes the password can still not access my account, correct? I verified the devices listed are all mine."

-------

Change your eMail Password:

Perhaps someone is getting in to your Apple Account through use of your eMail account? So, change the password on your eMail account, and enable Two Factor Authentication on the eMail account, if an option.

As for your Apple Account:

Go Here: View or Remove your Associated Devices on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

Try "Deauthorize All" Button:

Note that you have to wait one year to deauthorize all devices at once. So, try using the "Deauthorize All" button. If not used within the last year, then all should deauthorize.

1. Open: iTunes/TV/Music
  2. Go to: Account menu
  3. Select: View My Account
  4. Enter: Apple Account Password (if prompted)
  5. Scroll to: Computer Authorizations
  6. Click: Deauthorize All button

May 23, 2021 11:36 AM in response to IanJKing

I’m going to make some guesses about what might have happened here, and might have happened previously, from some common patterns from these cases…

If perchance you have been re-using passwords across various apps and web services, this is the expected and typical outcome.

You probably also don’t have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID, as that blocks unrecognized devices without a second confirmation from a trusted device.

If some or all of that happened here, then presumably one of those services has been breached, and so the miscreants will then use the username and password pairs from that breach against every other web service around, including trying the pair as an Apple ID.

Unique and robust passwords are important. As is having two-factor enabled. As is having current trusted contact info associated with the Apple ID.

Passwords on your password reset paths are also important. If the miscreants have access to a password reset path password, then they can trigger and approve the password change themselves. This might be a mail server, or the PIN code on a cellular provider account, or physical access to a terrestrial telephone line, for instance.

As for the password-reset immediate issue, regaining control of your Apple ID is the priority: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

Others have referenced reviewing your list of trusted devices, and you will want to enable two-factor authentication if not already enabled, and verify your trusted contact info, and unique and robust passwords.

May 27, 2021 7:07 PM in response to MrHoffman

Well, my previous call to Apple support was pretty fruitless. Basically, what I was saying can't happen, yet here are the confirmation emails from Apple (no they are not spoofed) and the support person could see that the password was changed at those times.

I have two-factor authentication turned-on, use a password manager with strong passwords so that there are no duplicates. I even created an email account that is only used for the apple id. Every email ever received has been from Apple as it has never been used anywhere else.

Apple doesn't use security words for password resets, when I reset it myself, the two-factor forces me to use a different device to authorize it.

The list of devices are all mine, so my only thought is they are going through the long process of the resetting it when you "don't have access to the device" link. Which is really the heart of my original question reframed. If they somehow reset it and two-factor authentication is on can they actually access the account. If the password is reset because "they don't have access to the device", wouldn't apple allow access then?

Password keeps getting reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.