You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable sharing Find My devices with family sharing

I created my family sharing group a couple of days ago. After the first member had accepted my request, I enabled the "Location Sharing" setting.

While I could easily disable sharing my devices location with my family, there seemed to be no way to disable the "[Other family member's first name]'s Devices" section in Find My. This allows family member to remotely lock and disable my device, even with location disabled.

While I trust my family, I searched online and couldn't find any way to disable this.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 12:26 PM

Hello Boshjosh1918,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you'd like to know if there is a way to lock your device(s) from other family members, so they can't lock or remove your device from Find My.

If that's correct, then there currently is no way to disable the ability for family members part of your Family Sharing from locking the device. If a family member lost a device, it's easier for a family member to play a sound or mark it as lost without access to the lost device.

Some helpful resources to explore on this would be:

Share your location with your family

Locate a family member’s missing device on iPhone

In case you'd rather remove the device: Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

If you'd like to share this feedback with Apple directly, we'd encourage you to use: Product Feedback

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2021 12:26 PM in response to boshjosh1918

Hello Boshjosh1918,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you'd like to know if there is a way to lock your device(s) from other family members, so they can't lock or remove your device from Find My.

If that's correct, then there currently is no way to disable the ability for family members part of your Family Sharing from locking the device. If a family member lost a device, it's easier for a family member to play a sound or mark it as lost without access to the lost device.

Some helpful resources to explore on this would be:

Share your location with your family

Locate a family member’s missing device on iPhone

In case you'd rather remove the device: Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

If you'd like to share this feedback with Apple directly, we'd encourage you to use: Product Feedback

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Disable sharing Find My devices with family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.