You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

X11 not displaying when run in ssh session

Hi,

I am experiencing some troubles with X11.

I am using macOS (Big Sur 11.4), everything was working well until I did an update of XQuartz (2.8.1). From that moment, when I connect to an ssh session and I try do some graphical display from the Apple terminal, the command just remains stuck after an empty line is printed.

In addition, I just realized that if I give the simple command "xclock" in the Apple terminal, it remains stuck as well. Regarding to this, I found an old post in this forum that suggested to set the DISPLAY variable as :0.0 . I tried, and I could run the xclock and related commands from the Apple terminal.

However, I still cannot do it when I work in ssh and I couldn't find instructions about how to do this.

There is an additional particular that is driving me crazy: this problem appeared to be fixed few days ago, when I connected to a new network and the graphic was successfully displayed. The day after, the problem was there again (same network).

Any suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Valentina

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 6:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 7:44 AM

Check your ssh settings and make sure X forwarding is enabled on both sides. There may be multiple places where this can get broken. There is no way to tell what the actual cause is. X is extremely fragile.

Similar questions

2 replies

X11 not displaying when run in ssh session

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.