You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac causing issues with HP printer (no issues with Windows PC)

We bought our HP Envy Pro 6430 printer a couple of weeks ago and installed it on our new iMac (2021). Does anyone know why it might be selectively replacing areas of color (white and purple in this image) with black? It’s not an issue with the printer because it prints as it should form our old HP desktop running on Windows 10. Perhaps related to the new iMac or MacOS incompatibility or a setting?

This is where the original document is from (page 3):

https://www.bluey.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Bluey-Flextangle-Accessible.pdf

Here is our printout for comparison.

Top: Old HP Desktop

Bottom: New iMac

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

We’ve been through two lots of printer resets, printhead clean, and printhead alignment with HP support which unsurprisingly did nothing.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 3:04 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 18, 2021 3:28 PM in response to ymukhia

There is a firmware update available for that printer, if HP Support didn’t already suggest installing that.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-pro-6400-all-in-one-printer-series/29256678/model/33518722

Try connecting to this inkjet via AirPrint, if that’s not already the printing path you’re using. This avoids needing add-on vendor drivers.

This inkjet purportedly TWAIN capable, which means the built-in drivers should work for scanning; no added scanning drivers needed.

Failing that, return it for a refund if that’s still possible, and get a printer that works for your needs.

Considerations for a replacement:,Which Printer Should I Buy? - Apple Community

Jun 19, 2021 1:16 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Yes, I was trying to print the PDF using Preview. Adobe Acrobat resolved our issue, thanks!

I'm assuming that Apple are aware of this issue with Preview. Do other file formats like JPEGs have the same issue with printing? Or is it specific to PDFs loaded directly from websites?

Trying to find a resolution has annoyingly used up two thirds of our color cartridge so we owe you a big thank you to for solving this for us. Looks like we'll be keeping the printer after all.

Jun 19, 2021 1:25 AM in response to MrHoffman

Keith hit the nail on the head when he said we needed to print our PDF through Adobe Acrobat.

We were using AirPrint and did have the latest firmware update installed so it must be an issue with Preview. Hope they fix it.

We'll have to keep your article in mind when the time comes for our next printer upgrade. Reddit came up with nothing helpful when I tried to find an article like this.

iMac causing issues with HP printer (no issues with Windows PC)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.