You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

regarding software update

i tried upgrading my macOS sur 11.2 to 11.4 , after a while for downloading around 5.67 gb of update, it is not fetching anything and is stuck on preparing macOS Big Sur 11.4 forever , what I should do now??

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 11:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 2:16 AM

First thing is close the Activity Monitor Application. Second, do not allow the screen saver to activate. Third - the countdown clock is misleading. It may show 15 minutes but in real time could be 30 - 45 minutes. That has been the pattern experienced by many including myself. Patience and more of the same - patience. It should eventually finish and automatically restart one it finishes,

If when it Auto restarts and it gets stuck - pause a moment before panic. Just Shutdown computer via Power Button. Disconnect all external drives. Restart and immediately hold the SHIFT key until the Apple Logo appear and release. This may or may not allow the update process to complete successfully.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 2:16 AM in response to mr_parabola

First thing is close the Activity Monitor Application. Second, do not allow the screen saver to activate. Third - the countdown clock is misleading. It may show 15 minutes but in real time could be 30 - 45 minutes. That has been the pattern experienced by many including myself. Patience and more of the same - patience. It should eventually finish and automatically restart one it finishes,

If when it Auto restarts and it gets stuck - pause a moment before panic. Just Shutdown computer via Power Button. Disconnect all external drives. Restart and immediately hold the SHIFT key until the Apple Logo appear and release. This may or may not allow the update process to complete successfully.

regarding software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.