You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer Driver

I have a very fine old printer which I would like to connect to my Mac, but neither the manufacturer (Canon) nor Apple have a driver which is compatible with MacOS Big Sur or Catalina. The printer is a Canon iP9900. I found some sites which claimed to have such a driver download, but they smelled fishy. Any ideas anybody?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 7:48 AM

Hi,

You mentioned an iP9900. Could it posssibly be a Canon i9900?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/i-series/i9900?tab=drivers_downloads

If so, there are supported drivers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (and 10.5 Leopard) only. These are probably far too old to be used with a modern Mac, but you could of course try a download anyway. As with any experiment, there is a certain risk. Software and hardware problems cannot be ruled out. Data may be lost. So, do not proceed unless you know what you are doing. Make sure that you have at least three backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera).

Yes, be careful with downloads from the Internet. There are a number of third-party sites using (parts of) a printer manufacturer's name in their web addresses. Download from an official Canon site only, or from another trustworthy source (such as Apple).

If you have access to an older Mac that can run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (or possibly some of the following operating system versions), you could perhaps try to connect the printer to that computer and print from there. If necessary, transfer files from the Big Sur Mac. You may also want to check what happens if you let the old Mac share the USB printer on the network.

Share your printer on Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2021 7:48 AM in response to SusanVere

Hi,

You mentioned an iP9900. Could it posssibly be a Canon i9900?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/i-series/i9900?tab=drivers_downloads

If so, there are supported drivers for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (and 10.5 Leopard) only. These are probably far too old to be used with a modern Mac, but you could of course try a download anyway. As with any experiment, there is a certain risk. Software and hardware problems cannot be ruled out. Data may be lost. So, do not proceed unless you know what you are doing. Make sure that you have at least three backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera).

Yes, be careful with downloads from the Internet. There are a number of third-party sites using (parts of) a printer manufacturer's name in their web addresses. Download from an official Canon site only, or from another trustworthy source (such as Apple).

If you have access to an older Mac that can run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (or possibly some of the following operating system versions), you could perhaps try to connect the printer to that computer and print from there. If necessary, transfer files from the Big Sur Mac. You may also want to check what happens if you let the old Mac share the USB printer on the network.

Share your printer on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 26, 2021 5:46 AM in response to Lanny

Yep. Thanks for responding, Lanny. When I do that, the Mac recognizes the printer model and under "Use" gives me the prompt, "Software for this printer isn't available from Apple. Contact the printer's manufacturer for the latest software." I did that, and Canon only provides a driver up to OS 10.5 or so (I have 11.0.1). I would be happy to try that one and see what happens, but Canon detects my Operating System and won't let me have access to it. I haven't installed any ink cartridges in the printer, because it takes 8, and I didn't think that could possibly make any difference. Thanks again.

Jun 26, 2021 8:10 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Wow, Jan, that was very helpful, thank you so much. Yes, you are right, it's a Canon i9900. I don't know how that "P" got in there. Well, if experimenting with a printer driver for an earlier OS is so risky that I need 3 backups, then I think it's above my pay grade even with the backups. I actually do still have the Mac I used to use it with the i9900, but it's not in service--not enough space for it and my new Mac, so upshot is, I'd better put the fantastic i9900 out to pasture with it until I find a home for both it and the MacPro/Snow Leopard. I hate to give up on it, but I really appreciate your help in getting me there.

Printer Driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.