You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone USB connection problems

Recently my iPhone 12 Pro Max has stopped connecting or even charging through the USB port in my car. Have tried different cables, cleaning the ports etc. Tried my partners iPhone (same model, same iOS 14.6) and this works perfectly - charges and plays music through the car.

Any suggestions of a fix, as I am unsure what else to try at this point.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 4:24 AM

3 replies

Jul 15, 2021 5:09 PM in response to Jeff_W.

I am using an Apple branded charger. The phone charges as normal when plugged into the wall or computer. Not getting any error messages from the car.

Tried the troubleshooting but still having the same issues. Very confused as to the problem.

Thanks for attempting to solve the issue, it looks like I’ll contact support directly then

Jul 15, 2021 7:11 AM in response to Oliver_85

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities  Oliver_85,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your iPhone 12 Pro Max. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you.  If we understand correctly, the iPhone doesn't connect or charge in your car.  We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. To start, does the iPhone charge when plugged in to a wall outlet or a computer? Are you using an Apple branded cable to charge? Are you getting any error messages when plugging into the vehicle?

If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge

If all the above troubleshooting steps failed, then we would recommend contacting Apple Support direct.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Jul 15, 2021 5:25 PM in response to Oliver_85

Oliver_85 Said:

"iPhone USB connection problems: Recently my iPhone 12 Pro Max has stopped connecting or even charging through the USB port in my car. Have tried different cables, cleaning the ports etc.[...]"

-------

Three Thoughts:

A. Try Manually Restarting your iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

B. Re-Pair in Park:

Try unpairing the phone. Then, pair it back. Perform this while in while in park.

If Neither Works...

C. View the Owner's Manual:

See what the Owner's Manual of your car says when you read it.

iPhone USB connection problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.