You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset encrypted data

I get a message asking if I want to reset encrypted data, what will happen?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:07 AM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2021 9:18 AM in response to supportseeker28

If you do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

If you do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also. (This is not true in your case)

This means the iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup because by default it is checked.

Look for it in the iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check the keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic hereunder.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

Jul 23, 2021 9:16 AM in response to supportseeker28

It would be better if you can please re-post with a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. Images / pictures speak louder than words. Do not provide any personal credentials, such as email id, apple id, IMEI number, Serial Number, Phone number, Order ID, if you are sharing a map ensure your location is not identifiable. Etc.

reset encrypted data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.