You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete inactive internet accounts.

I have a number of inactive accounts showing up in System Preferences. Whenever I click on the "-" button to remove them, I get the usual message asking if I'd like them removed everywhere, but a minute or two later, "secd" (according to the console) adds them again).

Even if I delete them on another computer, they re-appear again.

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 6:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 7:18 AM

Hi mingoslkd,

Thank you for demonstrating the kind of typically useless reply I get when I contact most companies.

In the end, I contacted support, who didn't give me useless advice and who, after trying a couple of things, have now escalated it to someone who is going to look into the problem, as it's clearly not just an issue with my computer.

In the future, when someone brings up console messages, it should be enough of a hint that the person is not your typical computer user and generic replies are probably not going to be helpful.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2021 7:18 AM in response to mingoslkd

Hi mingoslkd,

Thank you for demonstrating the kind of typically useless reply I get when I contact most companies.

In the end, I contacted support, who didn't give me useless advice and who, after trying a couple of things, have now escalated it to someone who is going to look into the problem, as it's clearly not just an issue with my computer.

In the future, when someone brings up console messages, it should be enough of a hint that the person is not your typical computer user and generic replies are probably not going to be helpful.

Aug 3, 2021 6:09 AM in response to Currawong

Once an Apple ID say created with gmail services like example1@gmail.com is erased permanently from the gmail server and even if it is active on iCloud server ( as users use gmail services to create an Apple ID and sign in with Mac system preferences ) , once the account is erased and it can't be recovered , it will show as inactive and if you click on subtract sign it will reappear .

Note : however if you erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS it will still appear and show as inactive in internet accounts see an example screen shot .

If you contact apple support senior care advisors they need your permission to erase the account from iCloud server , but they can't recover the gmail account or what ever services you have used like yahoo , hotmail .....etc , the inactive accounts will show forever .

Jul 28, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Currawong

Hello Currawong,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you have some inactive email accounts which need to be removed, but are having issues doing that. We'd like to do what we can to help.

This page in the macOS User Guide shows how to remove an email account. Verify that you're following these exact steps:

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

If we're not understanding correctly, please provide some details on what type of internet account, along with the steps tried so far. However, please do not include any personal information, as this is a public forum.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2021 12:24 AM in response to Currawong

It's server based , the account is erased from server nothing to do with saved password in keychain access ( still you can find saved passwords in keychain access in case if they are forgotten ) see the articles Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

View the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

In case if you once again recover the account from server , and add the account in internet account after that can be subtracted from internet account .

AN OTP code appears on the desktop , you need trusted device and secondary mail address and its password that was added in the account , in this method the old iPhone was discontinued and sim was damaged , so OTP code was not appearing , so have to add new trusted number .

I never tried to recover those accounts ( it all depends how the account was erased ) , do gmail services keep the account ?

See the link https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6236295?hl=en

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7299973

The Apple ID created with gmail account say example1@gmail.com was permanently deleted from the gmail server , and if the account was set up with secondary authentication , the administrator can’t sign with iCloud account.

Sign in with rescue mail address in gmail account ( enter the password ) , click on personal info .

Click on edit , and try to add a new trusted number .

And can't further move , the bell icon will shake and stop and if you click on send the code that will go to the old trusted number that is inactive .

Click on more ways to verify , it again prompted to enter rescue mail address and password , Scroll down and click on account recovery icon , then add a new trusted number and click on next , the trusted number will add , the trick was using the rescue mail address that was attached to the primary mail address .

Can't delete inactive internet accounts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.