You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off iCloud-photo

My iCloud photo sync is not working so I would like to turn it off and on again. But I can't turn it off.

When I try from system preferences - iCloud - photo. Then it tell's me to open iPhoto and turn it off in there. But in iPhoto - preferences - iCloud there is only this massage:

Do anyone know what to do?

(MAC OS 11.5.1 on a iMAC M1)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 9:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 1:01 PM

Yes, that means the library you have open is not your system library. Only the system library will sync with iCloud.

Hold down the option key while starting photos. The resulting pane will list all the libraries on your mac, and will identify the system library (if there is one). Open that one and you'll have access to iCloud settings.

If you have no other library that *is* the system library, then you can set your current library as the system library by clicking the button circled in the second screenshot below (in photos preferences)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2021 1:01 PM in response to TygeX

Yes, that means the library you have open is not your system library. Only the system library will sync with iCloud.

Hold down the option key while starting photos. The resulting pane will list all the libraries on your mac, and will identify the system library (if there is one). Open that one and you'll have access to iCloud settings.

If you have no other library that *is* the system library, then you can set your current library as the system library by clicking the button circled in the second screenshot below (in photos preferences)

Can't turn off iCloud-photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.