You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing not working for all members

I recently created Apple accounts for my two children and set up family sharing with a 200gb storage plan at the same time.

My wife and my 8 year old son have access to the shared storage but my 10 year old daughter is listed as "not using". When I look her up in "Family Sharing" on my device, she is listed to have access to "iCloud Storage" (similar as my wife and son). When I look at her up in "Family Sharing" on her device, "iCloud Storage" is not listed. I can also see the she apparently is using a 5gb free storage plan. How do I get her "switched" to used the shared plan?

iPhone 8

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2021 11:56 AM

The suggestion did not work, as the open "Use Family Storage" was nowhere to be found.

I did however find a solution after trying a number of different things. I temporarily stopped sharing the iCloud storage with the family. When I started the sharing again, my daughter's iPhone finally found the shared storage.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2021 11:56 AM in response to jensrodi

The suggestion did not work, as the open "Use Family Storage" was nowhere to be found.

I did however find a solution after trying a number of different things. I temporarily stopped sharing the iCloud storage with the family. When I started the sharing again, my daughter's iPhone finally found the shared storage.

Aug 15, 2021 11:29 PM in response to Drew_7

I've already got the family sharing running and working for my wife and son, so I have that covered. The problem is that my daughter does use the shared iCloud storage. She do have access to a shared AppleTV+ subscription so parts of the family sharing does work.

Since I initially created the accounts for my children, my daughter always showed up as "not using" for the shared iCloud storage. This was way before I set up any restrictions in parental controls, so I fail to see how that is of relevance in this case.

Aug 16, 2021 11:08 AM in response to jensrodi

jensrodi,

You'll find steps to switch under "If you already had an iCloud storage plan" in the article above. Specifically, you can follow these steps.

"Follow these steps to switch to the shared family plan on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap Family Sharing, then tap iCloud Storage.
  3. Tap Use Family Storage. "

If you do not see the option listed as outlined there, the best next step will be to review support in your region. You can do so here: Get Support

Regards.

Aug 15, 2021 12:02 PM in response to jensrodi

Hello jensrodi,

We understand you're looking to share iCloud storage with your daughter, and we'd like to share a resource that can help. Get started by reviewing the guidance listed here: Share an iCloud storage plan with your family

Also, review any restrictions that may be enabled: Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Take care.

Family sharing not working for all members

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.