You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad charging port

I have an older ipad that has what doesn't use lightning cable. Has what looks like a usb-c port but my Android usb-c cable does not fit. Is there another type of charging cable for this? How many different types of ports did Apple use on these? I lost the original charger and the device is completely discharged so I can't even get in to see the model number. Please help!

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Unless it is an iPad 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation (which used the "dock" charging port), the only two types used on iPads are "lightning" or "USB-C".

Even if you can't charge it, take a look on the back cover of your device and you'll find an "Axxxx" code (where xxxx are four numbers). That's the model and you can identify it among this list:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 9:30 AM in response to Ipadchargingissue

Unless it is an iPad 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation (which used the "dock" charging port), the only two types used on iPads are "lightning" or "USB-C".

Even if you can't charge it, take a look on the back cover of your device and you'll find an "Axxxx" code (where xxxx are four numbers). That's the model and you can identify it among this list:

Aug 15, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Ipadchargingissue

Thanks! I did find that it is a 4th generation. Model # A1458. I was told that that model has a lightning port, but I am certain that the cable my wife was using (it's her device) wasn't a lightning cable but it was working. I have a lightning cable with a 20w charge head attached for the last 2 hours and it doesn't seem to be charging.

Ipad charging port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.