You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app on iPhone and iPad

A few months ago the mail app on my iPhone and on one of my iPads started behaving erratically. It will tell me that it is checking for mail, then that it is downloading a certain number of messages. It ten says it has downloaded them but nothing has been downloaded. Later it will download messages that are more recent but not any of the ones that it thinks it has already downloaded.

I am using a Gmail account for mail. The only way to get the missing messages is to delete the mail account and then reinstall it. In this way all the messages get downloaded. The crazy part is that this does not happen with my second iPad which continues to download all the messages every time.

It's very frustrating because I don't know when I am missing messages. As a double check I installed Outlook on the iPad that is erratic, set up my Gmail account and it is behaving perfectly, downloading all the messages. Has anyone had this problem before and can it be fixed?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 11:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Hi, first check that you have all the right information for your accounts https://support.apple.com/mail is a good tool for checking your email settings. Also go to Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data , check to see if your accounts are set to fetch automatically.

2 replies

Aug 15, 2021 11:58 PM in response to scottie-from-idle

Hi, Thank you for these suggestions. I have checked all the setting and that the accounts are set to fetch. I have also checked to ensure that the settings were the same for all three devices. Given that one works perfectly I figured that it's settings must be correct. All were identically set up.

This is a very perplexing problem.

Mail app on iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.