You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil connected but not responsive

I’ve had my 1st gen Apple Pencil for 2 years now and up to last month it’s been working strange. It started with it only working when I follow specific procedures. ( turning the iPad off with the power button and then on followed by only using my Apple Pencil because if I thou he’d the screen with my hand it would stop working. Last week it complete stopped working. It’s connected to Bluetooth, shows it’s charging on the screen but just won’t write.

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 7:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 11:07 PM

How about trying to pair the Apple Pencil again?

1. Make sure to center your Apple Pencil (2nd generation) on the magnetic connector on the right edge of the iPad. For an Apple Pencil (1st generation), remove the cap and plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector on your iPad.
  2. Restart your iPad, then try to pair again.
  3. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
  4. On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap . Then tap Forget this Device.
  5. Connect your Apple Pencil in to your iPad and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds. 
  6. If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then try connecting your Apple Pencil again and wait until you see the Pair button.
  7. If you still don’t see the Pair button, contact Apple Support.

If the above does not work then have your devices examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center. You may also begin by contacting. ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2021 11:07 PM in response to Gleonaimf

How about trying to pair the Apple Pencil again?

1. Make sure to center your Apple Pencil (2nd generation) on the magnetic connector on the right edge of the iPad. For an Apple Pencil (1st generation), remove the cap and plug your Apple Pencil into the Lightning connector on your iPad.
  2. Restart your iPad, then try to pair again.
  3. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
  4. On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap . Then tap Forget this Device.
  5. Connect your Apple Pencil in to your iPad and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds. 
  6. If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then try connecting your Apple Pencil again and wait until you see the Pair button.
  7. If you still don’t see the Pair button, contact Apple Support.

If the above does not work then have your devices examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center. You may also begin by contacting. ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Apple Pencil connected but not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.