You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud - Desktop & Documents sync error

Hello, I enabled iCloud Desktop & Download folder sync, and it started syncing to my 2nd Mac, but then it said it was full, so I paid to be on the iCloud 50Gb plan. Once I enabled the 50Gb of space, an error message immediately appeared that said something like "The Mac system is not able to sync right now". Why did this message appear? My internet connect is robust, both ethernet/wifi. My debit card was not rejected it was accepted and in the system settings it shows I now have 50Gb of iCloud storage. When I had only 5Gb of free iCloud storage, the sync worked OK for the "Desktop & Downloads" setting. How can I retrive this error message from the system log? What caused this error?

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 9:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 9:50 PM

Try this:

Restart the system

Leave it plugged in

Walk away (or leave it be overnight)

I don't know what caused the error, but it was likely the full storage space. Based on experience of others who hit their iCloud capacity, this usually resolves itself after some period of time. I think there is just a timing disconnect and things will sync again. FWIW - the first sync can take some time too. You may also want to check the size of your desktop and documents items to make sure you have enough space.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2021 9:50 PM in response to Mouse9000

Try this:

Restart the system

Leave it plugged in

Walk away (or leave it be overnight)

I don't know what caused the error, but it was likely the full storage space. Based on experience of others who hit their iCloud capacity, this usually resolves itself after some period of time. I think there is just a timing disconnect and things will sync again. FWIW - the first sync can take some time too. You may also want to check the size of your desktop and documents items to make sure you have enough space.

iCloud - Desktop & Documents sync error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.